Chapter 19: Injuries & Surgeries

"You had several problems when you came into the ER two days ago. You had a severe depressed skull fracture on the right side of your head, so we performed surgery right away. Like most surgeries, we gave you general anesthesia. The pain in your head will go five to ten days later, you'll also get some facial bruising, occasional nosebleeds along with some minor swelling & tenderness around the wound. We stitched the wound up & there seems to be no infection, but we're closely monitoring it with the other stitches. You're lucky you didn't face any brain trauma."

She says as she looks from the computer at me. "You said two days ago... so you're telling me that I've been in & out of surgeries for two days?" I question in awe. "Yes sir. Some of the doctors & nurses were surprised when you woke up today." She smiles & I continue, "What else?" I ask.

She takes a breath in & continues her list. "You also have a concussion. Healing time is about 44 days, so we prescribed you some analgesic, in pill form, for several things; including the concussion. You might experience poor balance, some mental confusion, either sleepiness or sleep disturbances, nausea, your depression may worsen & you might hear some ringing in your ears for a few days. You had broken ribs, recovery time is six weeks. Analgesic for medication & we're also giving you some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs."

I gape at her. "I had broken ribs?" I gasp & wince, holding my side. "I'll continue." She clicks her mouse a few times before continuing. "The last issue was your kidney." I look at her in confusion. I didn't think my kidney could've been affected... "What happened to it?" I croak. She hesitates. "What is it, Dr. Lin?" I raise my voice slightly worried what happened. I wasn't able to contain my anger any longer.

"WHAT IS IT?!" I shout. "WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?!" She finally looks over with a sympathetic expression. I turn away to look outside my window kissing the blue sky. "It's gone." I snap my head towards her. "What?" I hoarsely ask. I can't believe it. Did she actually say "gone?" She takes a steady breath in, clicks her mouse, scrolls & turns the monitor towards me.

She shows an x-ray of my insides & points at the missing spot next to my other kidney, above my bladder. "Your kidney was torn to the point where we couldn't have saved it. The tear was either caused by a broken rib piercing it or an outside force hitting you so hard that your kidney tore.

It's more likely that the tear was made by a rib, but we're not entirely sure. We had to take it out to avoid internal bleeding. I want you to drink plenty of water & if you can, drink cranberry juice. It helps with urinary tract & your other kidney's health. Ibuprofen, Motrin specifically, will help with the pain. I'm sorry for the loss of your kidney, but you will get through this, Grey."

I just stare at the empty spot above my bladder. Couldn't believe it. Nope. No way in hell this is happening... no... She turns & walks out, shutting the door quietly behind her. Dr. Lin, why'd you walk out? Why walk out right after you told me the truth? Why couldn't you have told me from the start? Why'd you hesitate? Couldn't believe it; so many injuries & surgeries.

Damn, they did more damage than last time...

(A/N: Sorry for not uploading on my schedule. Things have been pretty stressful... So, here's an update to make up for it. Thanks for understanding.

~G)