Chapter 10

A/N: Shit hits the fan so hang out and listen to some ABBA

I woke up to the bedroom door creaking open. Rolling into my side, I saw George grinning and stepping in the room. Right. He was supposed to come home today.

"I didn't think you'd be awake," he said.

"Guess I am." I rubbed my eyes. "How was your trip?"

"Oh, it was fine." He immediately tensed up.

"You sure?" I sat up.

"Yeah, it wasn't bad. The weather was nice."

"And how was Pattie? She seemed pretty excited to go."

George's eyes darted away from my face. "Oh, y'know. Normal. She uh, asked about you."

"Really? What'd she say, then?"

"Just wanted to know how you were. And how are you, then? I haven't seen you in a while." He wouldn't look at me, wringing his hands in his lap. I had to tell him.

"I'm good. Same as always. I've just been here and -"

"I need to tell you something." Georges words came out rushed.

"Huh?" Something must have happened with Pattie. I guess John would be pleased to hear that.

"I kissed - no. Pattie. She kissed me."

"George-"

"She was drunk. I think. She must have been. I would've told you over the phone -" He was hyperventilating.

"Listen, George -

"It was quick. Meant nothing. I - she wanted - but I didn't push her off. It wasn't bad. Shit. I shouldn't say that. But it's not like she loves me or anything."

"George!" I yelled. He looked at me.

"It's ok."

"What?"

"It's ok, but I think we need to talk." I sighed. This wouldn't go well. I knew George. He would cry, probably. But after this, I couldn't not tell him. It would kill us both.

"What about?"

"You're gonna hate me." He frowned.

"No I won't."

"Don't be nice, George. You will. I don't want to say this because if I do, it's over. Us, I mean."

"No." He tried to reach for my hand and I pulled it back. "There's nothing we can't recover from."

"It's about John."

"What did he do this time?"

"He's - I'm in love. With him."

"No!" George shot up. "What's he done to you? What has he told you to say?"

"No, George! I'm not lying. This is coming from me, not him."

"I don't understand," George said softly. "You're kidding, right?"

I looked down into my lap. "I'm not."

"How long has this been happening?" His time was clipped.

I shrugged. "A while, I guess. I dunno. But it was recently I knew I loved him."

George put his head in his hands. "Fuck." He kicked the door closed and yelled, "fuck! I'll go beat him. I'll kill him."

"No you won't. Sit down."

Tears welled up in his eyes. "Do you still love me?"

"I'll always love you, I think. But right now isn't a good time for us. I think we've outgrown each other."

"Don't give me that bullshit."

"It's the truth."

"Did he fuck you?"

"Excuse me?" I spluttered.

"I think I'm being very clear. Did he fuck you? Did he take you in that dressing room the day we got in a fight? Did he bend you over a desk and-"

"It was just sex, George!"

"You just said you loved him! That isn't sex! How many other things can you lie about? I asked you to tell me the truth. I would have forgiven you, but you didn't tell me!"

"It just would've hurt you!" I yelled.

"And it hurts any less now?"

"Well, I thought with Pattie things would be different."

"What? Did you want me to cheat? Is that it? To make you feel better about yourself?"

"So you wouldn't be alone!"

"Don't pretend to care about me!" His voice cracked with a sob. "You know, you're not the person I thought you were. You're a liar. And a cheat. And you knew what you were doing the whole time."

"I'm sorry." I was starting to cry now.

"You're not. If you were sorry, you would've told me when I asked you. But you didn't."

"I thought it would be better if I waited for you and Pattie, to, y'know."

"Pattie this, Pattie that! God, she isn't even here! Leave her out of this! I don't love her! I love - well, loved, you! I guess you're right. We did outgrow each other. I don't know who I married. I just, I don't understand." George turned around and walked out of the room, slamming the door hard.

I sobbed. I put my head in my hands and laid down and sobbed until I felt dizzy and couldn't breathe. For a while, I laid there in that empty house on my side, too tired to cry. I grabbed the phone and dialed a familiar number.

"It's fuckin early. What do you want?" John didn't sound pleased.

"George," I said softly.

"What about him?"

"I told him. Everything."

"How did he react?"

"He stormed out. It was awful. He didn't fall in love with Pattie. She kissed him, but nothing else happened."

"Well, are you ok?" His voice softened.

"You sound upset."

"Come over."

"Now? It's not even -

"Please, John," I said, a sob creeping into my voice. "I need you."

"I'll be there soon."

And he was. George must have left the door unlocked, the fucking idiot, because before I knew it John crawled into bed next to me. I rolled over to face him and pulled him close, beginning to cry again.

"It's alright," he murmured, running his fingers through my hair. "There, there."

"I love you," I sobbed into his chest.

"I know. I mean, I love you too." He rubbed circles on my back.

"Please don't leave me," I said softly.

"It's ok, love. I'm not going anywhere."