Chapter 10: I'll buy you ice cream if you win

Reed's POV

"Are you sure you're ready to fight tonight?" I look at Nikki and I see her looking at me with a worried expression. We were inside her car, her car was parked 5 blocks away from the rink.

She's always been so caring and supportive and I'm so lucky to call her my best friend. I look her in the eyes and say, "There's only one way to find out for sure."

"Okay, But you better not get injured again or else I'll be the one who's gonna kill you." She said jokingly, though I know a part of her really is worried that I might get seriously injured again. I nod and open the car door to get out. "Sure, lets pretend that you can actually beat me in combat."

Nikki and I walk the five block distance, the silence was filled with an abundance of our deep breaths, it's quite obvious that both of us were really nervous. But I have a feeling that she was way more nervous than I was, I get why she's like this though. She practically had to piece me back together herself after all of the shit that went down.

We arrive at a sketchy looking staircase that leads all the way down to a big dark green steel door. I place my knuckles against the door and I knock on it six times with a certain pattern. Someone from the other side of the steel door opens it and I let go of the breath I didn't realize I was holding. Nikki and I both take in the sight that we haven't seen in a while.

Even though the both of us haven't been in here for a few weeks, everything is still exactly the same as it was the last time I was here; the smell of sweat and money mixing, the loud cheers of the audience for whomever they're rooting for, the sound of punches landing on their acquired target and the humidity in the air, I have to say although all of this sounds gross I missed this so much. It feels like home, a gross smelling home but still home. According to Nikki and Charlie I become a whole different person once I step inside the boxing ring, I turn into this confident and courageous person, I guess it's because I've always felt so comfortable here.

"There's my undefeated champion!" Jax; a tall, muscular man makes his way towards me. He gave me a bone-crushing bear hug. After nearly killing me with that hug he gave an equally painful hug to Nikki. 

I rolled my eyes at him, "I'm pretty sure I lost that title the moment I was defeated."

"Whatever, to-mae-to to-ma-to.  It's good to have you back, Ree."

I give him a genuine smile and said, "It's good to be back."

"Yeah she's saying that now, but we'll see if she'll be able to say that after her fight." Said Nikki, earning a chuckle from Jax. "Anyways, you better start getting ready. Your match starts in 20 minutes."

I nod at him, "I'll go find a seat then." Nikki and I part ways, she starts walking towards the bleachers that was set-up around the boxing ring. I start making my way around the ring that was set up dead in the middle and into the locker rooms. I open my assigned locker and start getting ready for the match that's about to take place in a few minutes.

A few minutes later I hear a knock on the door, "who is it?" I ask.

"It's Jax."

"Come in," he pops his head inside and says, "are you ready?"

I'm so nervous all I could do was whisper a faint, "Yeah."

"Good. Let's go."

I follow Jax out of the locker room and we head towards the large  boxing ring placed in the middle.

I close my eyes imagining what my father would say if he was still here.

You got this, you trained for this, I'll buy you ice cream when you win.

A smile tugs at my lips remembering how he promised to buy me ice cream and how it managed to chase all of my nerves away every single time.

I open my eyes and step inside the boxing ring the same time my opponent steps inside the ring too. His back is to me and he has a hoodie on so I can't really see his face. His back looks familiar though, okay I admit that sounds weird but it's true.

I look at the crowd for a second and I spot where Nikki is seated. She meets my eyes and she looks shocked, maybe even horrified. I shoot her a questioning look and she points at my opponent.

I look back at him, he already took his hoodie off and he's about to face me.

I crane my neck to the side to get a better look at him. As soon as I saw his face I swear I stopped breathing for a moment.

What the hell is he doing here!?

A/n:

It's been a while since I updated.

Words : 874

I love you all💜
-anna