The Ringmaster's Revenge: Phase Fourteen

Phase Fourteen

2days: 5hours

Until the Ringmaster’s Revenge

Grift

Having been burned by the sun, frozen by snow, and punished from the inside out with pain like molten lead, Aviraz stayed safely tucked away inside his master for nearly two weeks.  Grift spent just as long recovering from the effects of the wild berries, so that the two ended up waking within a few hours of each other on the very same day.  Grift woke in the early evening and, while shoveling dinner down his throat, had a very long conversation with the doctor who had nursed him back to health.  Most of it centered on his mysterious appearance, lack of parents, and who would pay for all the care he’d received.  As their conversation came to a close, Grift felt the shade stir and hastily repeated the doctor’s concerns, hoping the shadow-man would get the hint.  Then, finally, Aviraz left him and there was a knock downstairs.

“That’ll be another case of gout, you watch.  Gout day and night,” said Doctor Ness, rising from the end of the bed.  He was a funny little man with large spectacles, bushy gray chops and matching hair slicked back so smooth Grift wanted to roll a copper down it.  There was a tuft at the base of his neck he thought would make a good ramp if the coin got enough speed.

The doctor wandered downstairs, mumbling about farmers with toe problems, and Grift heard him open the front door.  There were a few minutes of muffled conversation then two sets of boots on the stairs.  The doctor came through the door first, beaming like he’d just won a high stake game of darts, and behind him entered Aviraz looking unruffled as ever.  His clothes were molded into proper country fashion, with an open vest over his suspenders and loose trousers.  That they were all black made him look a little suspicious, in a world were bright fabric was treasured, but no one ever commented.  The color suited him.  Grift looked around for his own clothes and found them pressed and folded by his feet, with exception to the shirt he’d been wearing for almost a month.  Someone had washed it and stuck it back on him for sake of modesty.

“Aver…” Grift’s mouth snapped shut at the shade’s warning glance.

“Well, thank Gad,” he said attempting to sound like a normal human.  “Do you know how long I been a’searchin’ fer this boy?  Ages!  All over some dumb fight over milkin’ the cow.”

Grift fought a smile recalling a memory of how the shade’s real son had run away after just such an argument.  Aviraz had nearly died with worry over the boy then gave him one mighty whipping when he returned.  But Badru had won; he’d never had to touch their milking-beast after that.

“Well, how he lived to make it here in a blizzard is something of a miracle and why a boy his age don’t know to stay away from baneberries is a greater mystery still.  Had to pump his stomach full’a tonic.  But it’s all worth it ta save a life.”  The nobility of such a statement was dashed somewhat by the greedy way the doctor fingered the coin purse Aviraz had given him.  A purse the shade had stolen off the town sheriff only moments before knocking on the door.  “Well, young man, since yer pa’s come to collect ya and yer feeling all fine, I suppose this is goodbye.”  Then he turned to Aviraz, “But he still needs ta do some restin’ so if ya can spare a few days before travelin’ home… we got a fine inn down the road.”

The Shadowmynn nodded.  The doctor stood looking at his guests a full ten minutes before he realized the two wanted privacy and left the room, yet even after he was gone the silence stretched for ages. 

“Doc Ness says I almost died, Aviraz,” said Grift, solemnly.  Then to enhance the gravity of the ordeal he repeated it.  “I almost died.”