Chapter 22 - Leaving

The night wind blew softly as Riya continued to look at Kurama's room outside the Minamino residence that same night. After Haruna's call, she firmly stood by her decision.

The very same decision she said to Genkai as soon as she woke up after being healed by the old lady. Upon remembering that, she could not help but allow her tears to freely streak down her cheeks as her mind pictured what happened to their conversation a few hours back...

xxxxxx

[Flashback]

Riya opened her eyes a few minutes after Genkai healed all of the injuries she acquired during the battle earlier. She winced for a few times before looking around to know where she was, only to be surprised to see an old woman with washed-out pink hair she already recognized as the master of Spirit Wave Technique and Yusuke's teacher, Master Genkai.

"Good thing you're already awake. How are you feeling?" the old lady asked with a small but sincere smile.

She thought for a while and analyzed herself to check her condition and so far, nothing was wrong. That was when she sighed before getting up and sitting on the bed and then facing the old lady. "I'm alright." And then she looked down. "I guess I went overboard using my powers."

"And to think you would use the Spirit Summoning Arts in that weak level of spirit energy," Genkai said. "I'm surprised to know that you could do such a complicated technique."

"That's because it has a connection to the powers during my past life, Master Genkai," she uttered without realizing what had just come out of her mouth.

No one spoke a word after that for a few moments. And after a minute or so...

"It seems to me you already know who I am..." Riya said that made Genkai look at her seriously. "...besides the fact that I can generate lightning and electricity-based energy to be used as my attacks."

Genkai nodded and then spoke. "I'm surprised that you managed not to let Yusuke—and more importantly Kurama—sense your spirit energy. But even if you have the Arrow of Wind, how come your powers had decreased to such an unusual level?"

Riya closed her eyes before opening them again and sighed. "I don't have much time left, Master Genkai. The weapons' powers are not enough to sustain my life for long. My life force was being devoured slowly by my powers that are too strong for my body to control since it far surpasses my physical limits. Sooner or later, I will leave Kurama without even fulfilling my promise to him." Her eyes turned sad and teary after she said the last sentence.

The old woman could only look at the teenager with worries even though she just met her.

"So what are you planning to do now?" Genkai asked, breaking the silence between them.

"Honestly... I don't know," Riya answered. "I wasn't sure about that as of now. But one of the options I have in mind is to leave without them knowing."

"Even though it would be painful for you to do that..." It was more of a statement and Riya knew that.

The girl clenched her fist that was placed on her lap. "The pain I'm going to feel afterward is nothing compared to what's about to happen if no one was able to prevent the darkness from taking over the three realms. I know I could bear that."

"It seems to me you've made up your mind," Genkai said matter-of-factly.

Riya shook her head slightly before facing the old lady. "Not yet. I still need to decide thoroughly about it."