Chapter 27 - The Day Of Succession

Two days later, Riya decided to go to the mall downtown to buy some clothes, shoes, and dresses that she would need for her birthday celebration three weeks from now. Her family decided to celebrate her birthday at the function hall of one of the hotels in that city that the Miyuzaki family had owned. So far, the only people who knew her birthday besides her family were Yumi, Yusuke, and Keiko. She haven't told it yet to Kurama since she had forgotten about it in a way.

Maybe she would when the trouble was over. As for now, she just needed to prepare for that big day. She had no problem when it comes to guests who would attend the party since her family assured her that her guests would only consist of her close friends, including those that she would invite.

And since it would be her seventeenth birthday, she was quite sure it would be one memorable event for her.

She was about to go inside the department store to buy a brand new laptop as a gift for herself when she spotted Botan and Keiko approaching her. She smiled at them and waved 'hi'.

"Looks like you're doing your shopping, Riya-chan," Keiko commented upon seeing Riya carrying some shopping bags.

Riya just smiled and nodded. "I just need to prepare since I'll be having another fashion stress three weeks from now."

"Three weeks from now?" Botan asked. "Is there any occasion that will happen three weeks from now?"

Keiko just winked at Riya before grinning. Botan eyed the latter strangely.

"It'll be a secret for now. And besides, you'll know that soon enough," Riya said as she winked at Botan before entering the department store.

Botan and Keiko soon decided to follow her. The three of them enjoyed shopping even though Riya was only planning to buy a laptop. Thanks to the sales clerk's suggestion and Keiko's knowledge about the updates of brand-new laptops, Riya managed to buy the one she needed.

They were about to take a cab to go home when Botan's compact communicator vibrated and it made them go somewhere hidden. The only place fitting that description, for now, was the alley near the department store. When Botan opened the communicator, they saw Koenma in his office now looking at the three of them.

"Botan, where are you?" Koenma asked.

Botan eyed Keiko and Riya before speaking. "I'm with Keiko-chan and Riya-chan right now."

"Did something happen, Koenma?" Riya inquired. Koenma nodded as an answer. "Where's Kurama and the others? Are they safe?"

"I can't say anything about them being safe, Riya, because they're dealing with a group of demon shinobi right now," Koenma said. "I called just to make sure the three of you are alright. Yukari informed me a while back through long-distance telepathy that she had read the enemies' minds about their plan to steal the Legendary Weapons and your capture."

"They must have an idea already about me being the Crystal Spear's wielder," Riya said matter-of-factly. After that, she gave a reassuring smile to Koenma. "Don't worry. I'll make sure they wouldn't capture me. Botan-chan and Keiko-chan will be safe with me. I promise."

Koenma nodded. "As for Botan, I need you to return to the Spirit World for a while. There's something I need you to bring to Yusuke."

"Alright. I'll be there as soon as I can." Botan closed the communicator as soon as she said that. After that, Botan materialized her ore and headed upwards to go to the Spirit World as per Koenma's orders.

But that few moments of letting their guards down made their enemies corner them. There were ten demon shinobis in that group surrounding them and it was obvious that they didn't have any way to escape except to fly. But that, too, would cost Riya her strength and her powers.