Episode 11: Prince of Shadows

"Sir, we should retreat," one of my group members said as she glanced at the shattered cores thoughout

"Sir, we should retreat," one of my group members said as she glanced at the shattered cores thoughout. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by hoards of abyssmals.

"Yeah, I think we've gone far enough for today," a second person said as we came to a stop.

"There is no sign of the Makkuroyama children," another said.

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Alright, let's get..." I stopped. A cavern on the side of the wall caught my eye. Where did the cavern lead to? Did it lead to where my aunt Rocio lived?

"Do you wish to explore the cavern, sir?" a fourth soldier asked.

I glanced up and studied the giant spiral rock. From here, one could see its peak move back and forth like a buoy at sea, even though it was submerged in the dark waters of the realm.

"Hmm, no. I think it'll be best to just note down this location and come back another day," I said. I knelt down and I picked up a shattered core for further study on the enemy. "Alright, let's get go..."

"Ahhh!" bone-chilling shouts echoed. I turned around and saw nine of my teammates being dangled over me. Gray tails had impaled each one of them. As the others turned, they were met with needle shaped lances to their chests.

"Sir, run..." one of them said before falling to the ground.

"No," I said, taking a step back. "Everyone, get behind me!"

"Not so fast!" a familiar voice echoed. Lightning rained down on my remaining teammates.

"It's too... strong," one of them said as they collapsed to the ground.

"Burn! Flaming wheel!" another familiar voice shouted.

"You! You're that Reno kid!" one of my soldiers said as he stepped back. "And you're Roa!"

I took a deep breath. My grip on Avalon's hilt grew tighter. I flew toward the tails. Each of the nine released their prey over me. I had to dodge and push aside my fallen comrades in order to make it to Satoru who stood at the edge of a cliff-side.

"Ahh, so you're here. Nice of you to come to us, peasant," the fox abyssmal said with an impish grin. "Tell me, how are is the princess and her peasant boy doing? I hope they're well."

I narrowed my eyes at him. What was with that tone. It was almost as if he knew what had happened.

The fox snickered.

"Wait, let me guess. That 'knight' finally revealed the lust hidden within him to his princess, or perhaps it was the princess who took advantage of him."

I gasped. "What did you say?" I asked, pointing Aventine at his neck. "Do you know what happened?"

Satoru grinned. "What? You mean I guessed right? Tell me, which of the guesses was right? The first or the second?"