Episode 68: Return Home

As we drew closer to home, we decided to get out of the bus and walk instead to get our blood pumping

Stalks of wheat danced around us like rolling waves never hitting shore, sending their seeds and earth-like smell into the wind to mix with the sweet smell of the nearby wildflowers. Insects of various kinds from bees to butterflies buzzed overhead, moving away from one sea of tiny multi-colored flowers to the next in search of pollen.

"This place is different from the city," Setsuko said as her brown eyes gazed at the mountains in the distance. A cloak of green covered their bases which eventually gave way to silver peaks which reached for the heavens. Her eyes traced the river cutting through their verdant vestments and ultimately led to the valley we were in.

"It's amazing!" Nori said, his red eyes shimmering as he took in all of the nature around him.

"This is Master's home?" Yuko asked, staring around at the quiet countryside as we made our way toward my house.

"Yeah, mine and Serrano's, also Xime's old home too."

"I missed it so much," Ximena said, taking in the crisp morning air.

"I can see why. It has a calm and relaxing feel to it," Setsuko said, closing her eyes as she felt the cool valley breeze. "I wouldn't mind living here."

"It's boring is what it is," Hideo said as he kicked up some dust. He ran on ahead and turned toward the group. "How much farther do we need to walk?"

"We're actually here," I said, pointing at the tiny black house in front of him.

He turned once more and blinked. "Oh. Your house is sadder than I had expected."

I curled my hands into fists and grinned. "And you're as annoying as always."

Hideo raised an eyebrow. His lips quivered. "Uh, I am. Aren't I?" His eyes darted to the sheep munching away on the wildflowers in front of the house.

That's odd. I thought that he would've reacted differently. Seems that what happened to Dan is still affecting him, even though there is a small chance he might still be alive.

"I find it relaxing," Rosa said, smiling at me. "Feels like barely anything has changed..."

"You've been here before?" Hyosetsu asked, raising an eyebrow.

Setsuko chuckled. "Yeah, but back then we were visiting..." She turned to look at Serrano and stopped. She gasped and redirected her gaze at her sister. "Actually, wasn't it around here where you jumped to save Bear-woof?"

Rosa chuckled, nervously. "Yeah."

I sighed. "So you were that girl who I saved that day."

She lowered her eyes toward her bear-woof which had mysteriously appeared in her hands. "Yeah..."