Episode 34: Amending for Crimes

Collapsing on the white snow; father's coughs dyed the snow crimson

"Are you alright?" I asked, helping him up. I looked around and noticed that Rosalba and Hyosetsu were nowhere in sight. Had he left them behind to deal with that dragon? If so then I had to go back! I didn't care for Hyosetsu but I had to save Rosalba and Se... Ryonoko.

"I just need some rest," he said, looking up he smiled. "How about you? Aren't you exhausted?"

I glanced up at the grey sky. We had somehow warped back to the town where we had left Yuko.

Father, he had given me some of his energy before we left. That's why he was in the state he was now in.

"You shouldn't have intervened," I snapped, standing up. "I'm going to check in on Yuko and then head out to find Rosa."

Kuroshi chuckled. "You worry too much. She's safe with Hyosetsu."

"How do you know? For all we know, he could be the one who attempted to take advantage of her!"

"I don't think he is."

I narrowed my eyes at him. Did he too suspect of Eiichi? "Get up soon or you'll die," i muttered as I turned my back to him.

Father chuckled bitterly. "You're still mad at me, aren't you? For abandoning you."

He was right. There was no way that I could forgive him so easily. Not after all the suffering he had inflicted on us and on Yuko. Especially Yuko.

Father raised his chin a few inches off the ground. "Please, take care of your mom and the others."

"Of course I will. Taku has had that role though. Despite being my big brother, he's been more of a dad than you."

A weak chuckle escaped his now blue lips and dropped his chin back down into the deeply frozen snow. "That's... good. I'm... glad... Taku kept his promise..."

***

"I'm back," I called out. Kohri rested on the floor with his back against the wall, one hand tightly gripping his hammer.

He stood up and dusted off the thick blanket of snow that had accumulated on his coat and jeans. "Hey, that was quick. Did you get your dragon?" he asked.

"No." I punched the ice wall, causing it to shake. "I left Saya's heir to fend for himself."

"What?" His icy blue eyes widen to the same cotton ball size as the snowflakes currently falling. "Prince Ryonoko is here?"

"Yeah. He was the one who led us to the dragon. It turned out to be a legend of a monster."

He crossed his arms and smiled. "Want to go back and help him?"

I looked down at the snow, now hiding my cold tennis shoes. "I wish but doing so might make things more dangerous for him. Plus I'm not sure if I got the strength to make the trip. Your brother and Rosalba should be heading here right now, hopefully. Though I do worry about her. Kuroshi thinks she'll be fine, but I still don't trust Hyosetsu completely."