~silver~

Juvia's POV

Juvia stood motionless, listening to the heavy rain rapping on the window. The light in her eyes had abandoned her once again.

Did this mean...

Juvia let out a shuddered breath. For years, her love had been one-sided. After one heartbreak, after feeling the world end, she was saved by none other than Natsu. And for that moment in her life, she let herself be greedy. She let herself think that perhaps she could love.

And now she knew that was impossible.

Slowly, she made her way through the storm back to her house. She couldn't remember when she got there, only the memory of removing her drenched coat and collapsing in her bed remained.

Somehow, Lucy had managed to steal everything from her.

•••

Morning came harsh and early. Her eyesight was bleary and unfocused, but she had no inspiration to get up. And so she lay, drifting in and out of sleep, until a knock jolted her awake.

She turned over in bed. She felt no need to open the door. The knocking became more persistent. She sighed, and slowly rose from the bed.

When she pulled the door open, she was surprised to find Gajeel, looking impatient.

"What is it?" Juvia's voice was hoarse, and she quietly cleared her throat.

"I was wondering where you were. It's already noon, and you're such an early riser, it was kinda a surprise when I showed up before you, ya know?" Gajeel knew her too well, having known her since Phantom Lord.

She shook her head. "I've just had a rough night. I'd rather not."

"Is this about Natsu?" Gajeel pressed.

Juvia felt a sob swell in her throat, but quickly pushed it down.

Gajeel sighed. "I'm pretty sure no one in the guild knows about you two. I've just been watchful. Did he say something dumb? He's like that sometimes."

Juvia shook her head. If it had been that simple she would be okay.

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me. Come on, let's go."

The two made their way steadily to the guild hall.

Hoping to break the awkward silence, Juvia asked, "So, how have you and Levy been getting along?"

Gajeel blushed. "We've been doing great. We just got back from a mission together."

Juvia wished she had someone she could talk about for hours.

He kept talking about her until they arrived at the hall.

-"And then we had to help this girl who's hair started changing colour, but it took awhile to figure out what was causing it, and then-"

Gajeel was cut off by a voice behind them. If today could get any worse, it did.

"Hey Juvia! The hospital just opened visiting hours, and I've been really worried for Natsu. I bought him this gift basket, and I was hoping if you'd want to come with me!"

Juvia turned slowly. It was Lucy.

She scowled. "I'm sure he really wants to see you. Just go alone, I'm not interested."

Lucy took a step back, then smiled uncertainty. "If this is about Gray, I was hoping to chat about that-" She was interrupted by none other than Gray himself. He wrapped his arms over her shoulders.

"What's up Lucy?" He spotted Juvia, and quickly looked down.

Juvia couldn't handle this. She bolted, away from, Lucy, Gray, everyone.

It was at this moment Juvia realized just how truly lonely she was.

She found herself back at the spot by the lake. Where she had first gotten to know Natsu. And then the tears came.

They were slow at first, but quickly turned into heaving sobs. Why was this happening to her? Was this how it would always be? Constantly having her feelings betrayed? She couldn't take it.

After her tears had come to a slow, she opened her eyes a crack, and was surprised when something silver caught her eye.

She slowly reached up and pulled a couple strands of her hair up to her eyes. Most were their normal colour. But there was a streak of silver running down the side of her head; and something told her that meant trouble.

•••