Chapter 9: Dinner

(Art isn't mine. When Kaneki or other characters are talking in Japanese without English speakers around the words with be underlined, Hello. However if there are English speakers around, the words will actually be in Japanese, こんにちは)

     Kaneki POV

     Rize and Centipede laughed within the compounds of his mind. Threatening to come out. To show themselves. And suddenly Kaneki found himself in a place he hoped he wouldn't have to return to. The place was open. There were no walls to keep him confined. Just open blue sky and a forever extending ground- covered in spider lilies. Both red and white.

     In front of him stood centipede. He cackled, crouched down and jumped towards Kaneki. He dodged the attack in time and the insane kakuja flew past him landing a few feet behind him.

     "It's been a long time once we last saw each other hasn't it... Kaneki?" His voice like an old stereo, broken and faded. Kaneki knew what the his other half wanted. He wanted to be let out. Their stomachs growled. That empty pit begging to be filled with the flesh of unsuspecting humans.

     However Kaneki would not indulge. Not yet. Not now.

     Maybe Slenderman would allow him a chance to go out and hunt, perhaps find a fresh corpse at the bottom of a bridge. That suddenly reminded him of his mask. What had happened to it? Could he find a another? Did it arrive in this strange place with him? Did anyon- "Kaneki" centipede chirped. "Won't you let me out to play?"

"No!" Kaneki shouted. "I know what happens when you get out... you hurt people... innocent people and you take over control over me."

"Ohhhh, come on Kaneki...I know you know that's not true." Centipede cooed, voice raising with each syllable. "Those people were hardly innocent and you know it."

"Besides! You're hungry aren't you?!" He was shouting now and the need for a satisfying meal gradually increasing. His stomach flared in pain. Mukade was screeching at Kaneki now. He wanted to be set free. He wanted to feast. He wanted to hunt.

     But there was no way Kaneki would let him. Not if it was in his power to control him.

~

     "Kaneki," Slenderman spoke, getting the young ghouls attention. "Is everything alright?" He asked. Kaneki could tell he had said that out loud because the tables residents all turned their gazes onto Kaneki. But what was he supposed to say? Kaneki wasn't to sure, he just wanted go, he could always eat later, maybe then everyone would be asleep.

     Slenderman must've sensed his unease and after such a long period of silence he spoke again. "Kaneki, are you alright? Is this about your eating habits?"

"..."

"Kaneki, no one here will judge you for who you are... or what you eat. Look at E.J." Kaneki did.

E.J. had his mask tilted up to reveal pale grey skin, a mouth of razor sharp looking teeth and he was digging into a plate of human flesh like it was a juicy rare steak. It was making Kaneki's hunger worse and he needed to leave! NOW!

     Kaneki abruptly stood up from his chair. The chairs legs grating against the wooden floor grabbing the attention of those sitting around the table. "I'm going to go to bed. It was nice to meet you all," he quickly and quietly spoke, before heading to the door. He was trying to leave quickly but as he made it to the door way Slenderman called asked, "Are you alright, Kaneki?"

     "... I'm fine." He lied. He was anything but. As soon as Kaneki made it past the door he walked as fast as he could to his room. It was a miracle in itself that he could find it. He entered the room, closing the door behind him, and came crashing onto the bed.

     Kaneki had never gotten much sleep while with the Aogiri Tree. He never had an actual bed to lay on but he could still fall asleep. The problem was all the nightmares he would be plagued with once he did.