Chapter 6: New Beginings

(Art work is not mine)

     Kaneki POV

     After Slenderman had left Kaneki alone, he cautiously walked into the room. He knew that Slenderman wanted to help him and that the people he saw before held no ill intent (as far as he could tell), he couldn't help but stay alert. He'd been on guard since he finished healing. It had hurt when he healed. More than it should've. Broken bones retracting back into the skin, twisting and snapping back together. Muscle writhing under his skin like a pack of snakes. And his eyes. Oh god his eyes. Arima had dropped his quinque straight through Kaneki's skull and out of his eyes. It hurt. A lot.
It wasn't until he had examined the room thoroughly that he collapsed onto the floor; realizing how tired he actually was... and how hungry he was. That must've been why his healing process was so damn painful even though he should've barley felt it. Fighting Arima had really taken a toll on him.

     He sat on the floor staring at the qualities of the small room (despite the colossal size of the overall building). Against the right wall, an average sized bed, big enough for at least two people. A small nightstand against the wall directly across from Kaneki's position on the- now dirty- floor which would later need to be cleaned, next to the bed. Above the night stand was a large window with gray drapes hanging down from it. On the centre of the wall to the left was a small desk followed by a medium sized book shelf. He was excited about that but a little disappointed that it was empty upon further inspection. Against the wall next to the door leading to out into the hallway was a large dresser. On the other side of the door was another, on the right wall, a few feet front he foot of the bed. Rising from his seat on the ground, Kaneki stumbled over towards it, ignoring the deep craving for human flesh in the pit of his stomach.

Opening the door, Kaneki relaxed when met with a squeaky clean bathroom. It was a white tiled floor, with white walls, a bathtub, shower, and sink under a mirror. Moving out of the doorway and closing the door behind himself, Kaneki walked farther into the room, stopping dead in his tracks when he stepped in front of the mirror. His white hair, face and upper body- finally visible- was drenched in his own life blood. Some of it had already dried and was flakeing off his porcelain skin. He had bags under his eyes, both fully healed now. Although his left eye's kakugan was still showing. Scarlet veins extending into the left half of his face.

His eye pulsed suddenly and changed back to normal. Black faded to white and red turned to a light silvery-brown. Strings of red retreating. Every time his kakugan was activated it felt natural. Like a reflex or a muscle, but he still had no control over it. God he needed an eyepatch. The thought got him thinking about his mask. Where was it? He would have to ask Slenderman where he found him, because it was highly likely that he didn't just show up in that living room. He was sure he had it with him when he fought against Arima and could only hope it had arrived to... wherever he was, with him.

Ignoring the current train of thought he was on, he turned his attention to the task at hand: getting cleaned up. Turning the shower to hot, Kaneki stripped himself of his shredded fighting attire. It didn't take much time, since there was barely any of the leathery fabric left, and before long he stepped into the steaming water pouring from the nozzle attached to the wall. He calmed down considerably. The blood tinting his pale body red, chipped and drained off him. Pink water streamed down the shower drain. His hearing occasionally picking up on the faint sounds of skull fragments clinking against the bottom of the shower near his feet. He used some shampoo and conditioner that he found already in there, unopened of course, and proceeded to wash all of the grim from his hair. He used a bar of soap that had been unopened and washed the blood from his body that didn't just rinse off with the water.

When he was finally clean, Kaneki turned the shower knob off, the once boiling water cooling and eventually turning off completely. Shifting the curtain he stepped out onto the mat. A small linen closet against the bathroom wall was pulled open to reveal towels, cleaning supplies and, like Slenderman said, other basic necessities like tooth paste and spare tooth brushes. There were also spare soap, shampoo and conditioner in case was was already open ran out.