Chapter 5: Appearance

(Art work is not mine)

(A/N: This is my longest chapter yet so please bear with it. I have also fixed when Kaneki talks in previous chapters. And for those who do not understand:)

"Slenderman talking"

Flashbacks

Dreams and mindscapes like in previous chapter. Talking during these parts will also be in quotations (Slenderman or not)

___________________________

     Kaneki POV

     "Welcome child," Slenderman said releasing Kaneki from his hold. Standing up from his crouched position, with newly healed eyes- still throbbing a bit, he looked around at the shocked faces that filled the room. His Kagune began to dissolve in the metallic filled air and the gazes on him seemed even more astounded.

Jeez. You'd think they've never seen a ghoul before, he thought. Kaneki was surprised that they hadn't screamed yet and run away or tried to attack him. The onlookers didn't even seem scared. Just confused and surprised.

Wondering who- or what- the people standing before were. They obviously weren't ghouls and smelt pretty much human. Except for Slenderman and a few select members of the group, such as the boy in the Link costume. The man wearing the blue mask with some sort of black tar like substance oozing out of the eye holes smelt almost human, but that scent was masked by the stench of death clearly lingering around him. They all had the stench of death coating them, but he literally smelt like dead humans.

There were others in the room as well. There were three males standing near Slenderman's left side and the wall. One of the three wore a white mask with black-filled, feminine-looking eyes and mouth and a tan jacket. Another wore a yellow hoody and a hood-like mask. It was black in colour with red eyes and a frown stitched onto it. The last wore a green and blue sweater with orange goggles and a black mouth guard with a toothy grin on it. They all had weapons on them, consisting of two hatchets for the one in the goggles, a knife and a crowbar.

     Standing behind the freakishly tall man, was the boy in the blue mask who was wearing a black hoody and carrying what looked to Kaneki like medical supplies. Tufts of brown hair sticking out from behind the mask. The same for the slightly taller man in the white lab coat, now covered in Kaneki's blood. He to wore a mask. It was a white medical mask covering his mouth only, clearly showing his red irises and short black hair, and a sharp toothed smile drawn on to the mask. Beyond them were four more figures. A young man stood near the corner of the large room, in black dress pants and a white sweater, no eyelids and a ear to ear grin carved into the flesh of his cheeks. That must've hurt, Kaneki thought. His hair was a deep raven shade of black and his skin was as white as a sheet, like someone had poured bleach all over him. He cautiously gripped a large kitchen knife in his hand. Holding it out protectively.

Has he been living under a rock or something? It's common knowledge that regular blades can't hurt a ghoul. Kaneki chuckled a bit under his breath, but all the while keeping a cold expression.

"What's so funny?" The man asked. Grin permanently etched into his skin hindered by the husky growl of his voice. It took Kaneki a moment to understand he had spoken in English. Realizing that he must've been very far from Japan's 20th ward. He realized that there was definitely a reason why they all seemed so surprised at the previous scene that had befallen them, and why they hadn't seemed particularly hostile. They had never seen a ghoul.

Shit... Kaneki thought. Surprised but keeping an emotionless mask he usually wore, he concluded that he was far from the Japan's 20th ward. Very, very far. Moving on.