Stranger Calling

MISAEL—

It was strange to be friends with Luke. Whenever Misael was with him, he felt fine with talking about anything and had no apprehension about the things he said. When he wasn't around him, Misael felt stupid for talking to him about anything, and he would swear to himself he'd stop hanging out with him.

Of course, he absolutely did not stop seeing Lucas Vasquez.

Luke was just so bubbly and happy and comfortable with himself that Misael found it hard to try and tell him to go away. Luke made him laugh and actually made it interesting to talk. Whether it was about a movie or a book or a class or the food being served in the lunch hall, Luke managed to make a full, intriguing conversation about it that Misael would engage in for as long as he could. Besides, ever since finding out Luke was into guys, could possibly be into him, the stupid, annoying feelings Misael hadn't bothered to pay much attention to had magnified.

It was only Thursday and there was a strange feeling in Misael's stomach, but he wasn't sure why. He felt nervous, his limbs tight in an attempt to keep his movements under control. He went to the café and scanned the room, not really sure of what he was looking for.

Suddenly, someone poked his side and he turned, a scowl on his face. He was surprised to see Logan smiling at him. "Hey. Looking for someone?"

"No," he answered. Logan raised an eyebrow and looked him over. Ever since their sort-of fling at the beginning of the year, Logan hadn't really been one to approach him if he wasn't with Sebastian. "What's up?"

"I wanted to invite you to my party. I know Bastian did, but... I wanted to do it personally." He gave him a lopsided smile, and Misael arched an eyebrow. "Uh, I heard about you and that Luke guy. What's the deal there?"

"No deal," he answered immediately, feeling unsettled. At that moment, Luke felt like a weakness, a vulnerability, and Misael didn't want it exposed.

"So you're not going with him? To the party?" Misael frowned and stared at Logan, wondering what exactly he wanted. "Like, together." Slowly, he shook his head. "Okay. Cool." His eyes raked him over and Misael scoffed and turned back around.

That made a little more sense. Oddly enough, although he'd really liked Logan at one point, and had pined after him for so long after they started school and had felt embarrassingly heartbroken after he found out he was dating Steph, he didn't feel happy now. He felt excited, sure. Slightly smug at the idea of Logan searching for him to be sure his night would be fun after the argument. Powerful even, for making Logan feel the need to ask about Luke. Because Logan had been a what if that he never got a chance to figure out. He'd been out of reach, untouchable, and it had only made Misael want him more.

Then at the thought of Luke, a gut twisting feeling of guilt swept over him. Of course he was going with Luke. Misael asked him to go. He was supposed to watch after him at the party. There was no way he would leave Luke to go screw around with a guy who saw him as a backup plan just to fuel his own ego.

He shook his head and finally ordered his drink before heading to a table outside and pulling out a cigarette. A few moments later, he saw the tousled, windswept brown tufts of hair that he had begun to associate immediately to Luke. Then his light brown eyes, glistening gold in the sun. He was smiling, like always. And he had a dimple. Just one, but it was a very deep dimple. His many freckles were noticeable even where Misael sat three tables down.

He was wearing the gray hoodie he always wore with their school logo on the front in their school colors. He sat down in the next seat, leaning forward on the circular table. Misael caught a whiff of something sweet. Chocolate cologne. It made him nervous in the most intoxicating way.