Ch 5. Your heart won't change

Angel POV

I wasn't the kind of guy to feel helpless but here I was holding onto Paloma hands shaking as I tried to stop the bleeding.
"I need you to get here now!" I yelled into the phone.
"Where's here?" EZ questioned.
"Paloma's bar bring help!" I hung up the phone. I could feel the tears streaming down my face as she laid in my arms. Her heart rate was slow and her breathing heavy.
"I'm fine," she mumbled blood dripping down her chin.
"You just got shot, you are not fine." I argued causing her to chuckle.
"I got him back. Don't forget that." She winked at me. "I can stitch up myself. You worry to much."
"Mi amor, you have a black eye, a broken lip and a bullet wound on your side." The softest smile fluttered across her lips as she watched me sleepily.
"Mi amor?" She cooed.
"Yes." I kissed her head. The door flew open and Bishop rushes over to us an angry look on his face.
"What the fuck happened?!" He glared at me.
"Some guy jumped her. I didn't see him. She shot him in the leg and he ran off. I found her like this. She wouldn't let me take her to the hospital." I rambled.
"Did you bring my bag Bish?" She grinned at him. He nodded waving EZ over.
"The prospect is gonna learn how to give stitches today." Bishop winked making her smile again.
"Lucky boy." I helped her stand up.
"Don't call him Bish. He doesn't need to know." I stare at my President confused. Who is she talking about.
"Little dove I have to." He's soft with her.
"Bishop," she's pleading with him and as badly as I want to ask I want her stitches up more. I watch as she talks EZ through cleaning her wound with vodka. Then talking him through each stitch as she winces.
"Angel I don't know what you have going on and it's none of my business, but you protect that girl with your life," Bishop spoke not turning away from where Paloma and EZ were.
"She's a tough one," I rolled my eyes as P waved over at me.
"If this gang thing doesn't work out I suggest you become a nurse," she told EZ. My brother looked at her wide eyes like she was insane.
"She is But her dad will kill you if anything happens to her. My heads gonna be on the chopping block for this," EZ helped P walk over making Bishop shut his mouth.
"Can I go home?" Paloma asked looking at me hopefully. Her eyes were dropping as she clung to EZ's arm for balance. I took my brothers place making sure to not put pressure on her side as I walked her outside.
"Did She day anything about what he looked like?" Bishop asked as soon as I closed her in the truck.
"No. I'll get EZ to grab the tapes. She said he had a mask and not much else." I sighed. "You think this has something to with her involvement with us?"
"I don't know. I fucking hope not, but." He stopped himself from finishing his though. "But it doesn't matter. We protect her, because she protects us."
"Yeah." I agreed looking over at the now sleeping Paloma. Her face was pressed against the window and she looked so at peace. If I had only been here sooner maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I couldn't sleep as I laid beside her. I had to keep checking she was breathing as her soft snores were far and few between. Tonight could have gone so differently. We were lucky it wasn't worse.
"Angel stop staring," her voice was barley above a murmur as she stayed laying facing the other wall. "I'm okay."
"I can't help it," I confessed leaning over to kiss her head.
"If I tell you something can you promise not to be mad." She sat herself up so she could see me. Her normal smile was replaced by a firm line as her eyes searched mine.
"Of course." I agreed nervously.
"My legal last name is Alveraz." My eyes grew wide as the words sunk in. The reason Bishops head was going to be on the chopping block was because she was Marcus' daughter. The reason he was warning me was because if Marcus found out he wouldn't like it. "I should have told you right away." She brought my hand up to kiss. "He just never wanted me involved with a Mayan. I thought it would scare you away if you knew."
"Your last name doesn't change how I feel about you." I leaned in to kiss her. I was in love with her and after tonight I knew that more then ever.
"I'm in love with you," I let the words slip out.
"You're insane," a few tears slipped down her cheek. "But I love you too."