Ch 6. They called her a fighter

Our bruises heal and our cuts scar. We look like we did before untouched and unharmed, but the feeling of staring into the barrel of a gun doesn't leave. You still jump when someone comes up behind you without warning. Thankful you still have the ability to breath, but wondering what if you didn't. Why did you survive when people you've loved hadn't.
"Bishop do you know who killed my brother?" I stared at the older man hopefully watching as he took a sharp breath.
"It was club related. That's all I can say," it looked as if it was painful for him to say. Making me wonder was it another member. Had he been a mistaken casualty.
"Okay."
"Little dove, don't open old wounds. It's not worth the pain." I sucked in my bottom lip fighting back tears "something went south with club stuff he's not coming home little dove." His words were originally so soft. Yet now they morphed into screams.
"Did you tell him what happened?" I knew what the answer would be. Of course he did. He had to. My father ran his life. "You deserve to be more then his puppet Bish. I know that, your club knows that. So what will it take for you to see it?"
"I didn't tell him." I was stunned at his response. "And I'm no puppet. I'm protecting my club. I'm also protecting you."
"From what though?" I practically jumped on him. "What is it that is so deep and dark none of you think I can handle?!"
"I can't tell you. I can't be the one who does that to you. I love you to much little dove." He kissed my head. "Did Marabelle tell you why she never came back?"

It was two days later when my mother came knocking on my door. I was sitting across from Angel eating dinner and laughing at some stupid joke he made.
"Bishop called me," she wrapped me in a tight hug. Her eyes were puffy and her face red like she had been crying. "I need you to know something about your father." Her eyes darted to Angel. A glare developing when she noticed the Mayans Kute hanging on the coat rack.
"Maybe it's somthing you both need to know," she spoke sitting down. We sat around listening to the story of how my parents met. How they fell in love and then the story of how the club changed him. The soft man she thought she knew hardened. He disappeared started doing the things he swore he never would. So she left not thinking ahead of the danger she was leaving for her children.
"My only regret is in my rage I left you and your brother behind. Maybe he wouldn't be dead if I wasn't so selfish," she cried.
"It wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself." My voice cracked as I walked over to her and hugged her.
"Your father is the one who killed him."