6

Wooseong ordered all his sons to gather in the living room the night after. Just a day ago, the whole family was plunged into a cold war, their mother against their father, the children against their dad.

"This is the judge's verdict." Wooseong said, expressionless. "All seven of you will live with me. Pack your things. We are leaving first thing in the morning. Don't let me catch you dilly-dallying." Before he walked off, he turned to his wife, or more accurately, ex-wife. "What is done is done. Get out of my house tonight."

The children stopped themselves from groaning and complaining. All of them kept their mouths shut, not wanting another beating session to break out. Throughout the whole "family meeting", Hobi had hidden behind Jin's back, staying the furthest away from his dad as possible, afraid of being beaten up. His scars and bruises seemed to sting him once more whenever he saw his father.

While the children retreated to their bedrooms, all of them remained quiet. They gathered in the biggest room where Hobi, Namjoon, Jimin and Tae shared two bunk beds. Jin had Jungkook in his lap and Yoongi just leaned on the floor, his eyes closed, while the remaining boys climbed into their own beds.

"Boys?" Came a soft voice. It was their mother. Jungkook leapt up and ran forth to hug Chaesung, who picked him up right away to cradle him.

"Why can't we live with you, mommy? I don't want to go with daddy." Jungkook said. Chaesung immediately covered his mouth to quieten him, afraid that their enemy was within an earshot.

Chaesung let her little son wrap his arms tightly around her as he rested his head on her shoulder. Oh, how much would she miss her seven boys! "Things don't always go our own way, Jungkook." She began to explain. "The judge feels that daddy would be able to raise you better, so you have to go with daddy."

"Don't leave me behind, Mommy!" Jimin began to wail. "I want to go with you!"

Chaesung only hugged him, giving him the last comfort she could. One by one, the boys gave in to their fatigue and fell asleep. Chaesung gently tucked in each son, kissing each of them goodnight. And it was the last time she would be able to do it. Jin quietly sat in his spot on the floor, with Jungkook asleep in his arms as he watched his mother put his brothers to sleep. Even Yoongi, who usually only sleeps in his own bed, shared Jimin's bed. "Put him with Hobi?" Chaesung suggested, and Jin carefully carried Jungkook up and tucked him in beside Hobi. He accidentally woke Hobi up, but he simply stirred in his sleep for a moment and ended up hugging Jungkook close like a bolster.

"Follow me, Jin. I have to tell you something." Chaesung said in hushed tones as she pulled Jin out of the bedroom. Wooseong had already shut the door to the bedroom, and Chaesung had her luggage set outside the door. She took Jin out of the house and sat him on their front porch. She pulled out some thick, yellowed envelopes, bound together with some string and placed them in Jin's lap.

"You're eight years old, what a big boy." She said affectionately, forcing her tears back. "I'm sorry for this, Jin. But you're the big brother, so you have to take care of them." Chaesung pointed towards the stacks of envelopes in Jin's lap. "You should read this. The truth...uh well, you boys should...no, they're too young..." Chaesung's voice sounded confused and exasperated, and Jin couldn't understand what she was hinting at.

"Know about what?" Jin asked softly. "Mom, is there a secret we are supposed to know?"

Chaesung pulled her eldest son into her embrace and held him tight. "I'm sorry, Jin. Just...protect your brothers. Don't leave any one of them behind. They will need you." She rested her hand on the stack of letters, now in Jin's hands. "When you are ready, then you can open these."

She stood up and grabbed her luggage. Fumbling in her pocket, she pulled out a folded letter and handed it to Jin. "That is for you. Be sure not to let your brothers see this one too. I can't let any of you be hurt anymore. I'm sorry that you have to be the one that suffers silently. I'm so sorry, Jin." Her voice was shaking. Then, before Jin could run after her, she grabbed the luggage and walked out of the gate into a waiting taxi.