Chapter 10: Interlude

Frigid air filled the lungs of a figure sitting atop a winged beast caked with snow as they both gazed at the seemingly endless expanse of snow-covered mountains that stretched as far as they could see. "Do you ever wish we had never met?" A young man's voice came out from beneath the mass of cloth covering his entire body.

The creature was taken aback, then snorted a plume of water vapor. Despite the beast's body being coated in snow, its long neck was still very flexible as it looked back to its rider. 'No, If I could change the past, I wouldn't,' A smooth masculine voice spoke int the figure's mind.

"Even though..." the humanoid figure began.

"Even though what? My family was killed and you became an outcast to your hometown." The beast stated. "Despite everything that happened, I would not give up your friendship and companionship even if I could trade it for the sun."

The young figure laughed softly in happiness and stroked the beast's ice-covered head. "Thank you."

'Why did you ask?' The beast seemed worried.

"I guess I'm just lonely and homesick." The figure says.

'We could always go to one of the towns.'

"No." The figure's voice was firm. "I am not going into a town without you, and we both know there are no dragon-friendly towns. Also, the few dragon clans that remain do not like humans like me either."

'Humans have a bad reputation with dragons, and dragons have a bad reputation with humans. We've never gone beyond the mountains, maybe there is a dragon friendly town out there somewhere.' The dragon looked hopeful and gave his rider a draconic smile. 'There could even be a dragon clan that lives with humans.'

"We both know that all that is out there are endless fields of snow and ice with nowhere safe to rest and no landmarks to use as guides. We spent three nights lost and nearly ran out of supplies. At least the mountains provide us with a basic sense of direction since they, for the most part, run north to south, and the peaks look different in different parts of the mountains. That wasteland has nothing."

'Maybe there are ways to determine the direction that neither one of us learned because we were so young when we ran away.'

"Maybe." the human hummed, "but for now what do you want to do? Hunt, just fly, or stay here?"

Before the dragon replied, he looked to the east and closed his eyes as if sensing something in the air. 'I have a feeling that something new and important is coming from the east. We should see if we can meet up with it.'

"Are you sure?" His rider looked to the dragon. "The last time it led us to the City of Light and you nearly got killed. And there was nothing there."

'You know that you sometimes get gut feelings too,' the dragon snorted as he raised his wings in preparation of flight, 'and I always go along unless I can smell something dangerous.'

"All right, you win," he sighed, "though I sometimes do not understand your strange draconic magic."

The dragon leaped off of the mountain peak and flapped its wings to gain even more height. 'Sometimes, neither do I.'

Author Notes:

Who are these two characters? Will they be friends or foes?

Also, I made a map for everyone to enjoy!