Scream

I quietly walked to school with Sunwoo with a terrible gut feeling. As much as I wanted to listen to it, I couldn't afford to let my grades suffer because of them. "He's still coming to school after all of that?" "Either he's really brave or really stupid." "They're not going to let up." I was about to approach them but Sunwoo held me back. "Ignore them. Just do what you need to do." I noticed Jacob from afar and saw him hand something to a bunch of guys and girls. Sunwoo pulled me along and left me wondering.

I yawned then noticed an all too familiar group approaching me. "Heading to lunch?" I backed up as they continued to approach me. "We just want to talk." I broke into a sprint and they followed suit. I rounded the corner and hid in one of the classrooms. I hid from the view from the windows and hoped they wouldn't come in. I hated all of this running and constant bullying. The door opened and Jacob had entered. "Hyunjoon?" I found it ridiculous that he'd call out my name knowing I couldn't respond.

"Why are you in here and not at lunch?" I stared at him in silence. The last thing I wanted to do was tip off Jacob to anything. "Joon." I pushed him aside and ran out the room. I headed towards the school entrance and left. I didn't care anymore.

ㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣㅣ

I swung by myself as time passed by. I wondered how I'd explain everything to my parents. I knew well enough that they'd immediately transfer me to another school if they caught wind of me having trouble with other students at school. Maybe this was the best course of action. I checked the time then sighed as I still had an hour before I could head home. I picked myself up and decided to head downtown.

I sipped on my shake and deleted yet another message notification from Sunwoo. I didn't want him to see me like this. Worn out, broken down, lifeless. I noticed that Sunwoo had called and decided I should at least answer once. "You picked up." "Haknyeon?" "Where are you? We're worried about you..." "Don't worry about me. Just live your life." It hurt to say that as I wanted to be part of his life. I hung up as I didn't want to be questioned further. It hurt imagining never seeing Haknyeon again, but I couldn't stay in such a toxic school.

I punted a rock as I made my way home. I rounded the corner and felt a bit relieved to see my apartment complex. I walked up the stairs then opened the door to my floor. I momentarily stopped as I saw a hunched over figure by our door. Is it a homeless? A failed robber? I grabbed one of the fake plants in case I needed to defend myself. I moved closer then let the plant go. "Haknyeon?" "Hyunjoon, you're finally here."

I placed a cup of water in front of him then sat down on the opposite end. "Why were you waiting outside our door?" "I was worried about you. You suddenly hung up on us..." It was touching to hear that he was worried about me. "Thank you for caring...I'll be okay. Do you want anything to eat?" "No. Water's fine." I tapped my fingers against my thigh as we sat in silence. I didn't know what to say at this point.

"Joon." He turned to face me but dropped the cup and it's contents. "Oh..." I picked up the cup then hurried to get towels to clean it up. I came back and saw Haknyeon dabbing at the floor with a napkin. I hurried over and placed the towel over the spillage. "It's fine. It's just water." I sat him back down on the couch then was surprised by his sudden hug. "Please...talk to me. I know you're hurting and I want to be of some help...I don't like seeing you like this." He held me tighter and I slowly reached out and stroked his hair.

We were now sitting side by side then he suddenly asked me to face him. "Do you promise to talk to me about everything?" "I promise." He cupped my face then brought it closer to his. "Hyunjoon..." I could feel his hesitance and decided to give him a small push. I placed my lips on his and hoped that I had read his thoughts correctly. He eventually responded and I could feel myself blushing but enjoying the moment. Then it hit me.

Haknyeon liked me back.