two sides

"What is love to you?" I scoff and let out a laugh when hearing the question but somehow my answer flows out perfectly- the image of her smile in my mind.

"Love is a concept, a defeating one. It has two sides to it, just like every story, every person. There's that side that is portrayed in most movies, most books and it's the part people envy. They make it look like oh love is amazing! Love makes life better! Fairytales, for example- Snow White being awakened by a lovely prince, Cinderella finding her Prince Charming who somehow wanted to marry her in one night etc. It's the appearance of love. The side that makes you believe that you're going to find your other half, the one that completes you. It's the side of love that's full of sweetness, protection and happiness.

It's those kisses that make you shiver, full of passion, full of biting licking smiling, it's long hugs around the waist, paragraphs to wake up to, dancing on the kitchen floor to your favourite artist, saying I love you for the first time whilst your heart races, butterflies- oh the fucking butterflies.

It's the side everyone dreams of having, it's a life goal- to no longer feel lonely. It's the side that consumes you, you know that and you let love do that to you. And it makes you believe that this feeling .. is what you will always feel.

No.

Because then there's the second side. The side that is also portrayed in movies and books with black and white scenes, crying against walls and throwing things.

Cinderella didn't have the perfect life, Snow White may have been the fairest of them all but she was so close to dying. It's the side that isn't pleasant but it's the side that keeps things strong no matter what. It's the side that is needed.

It's not just fluttering collarbone kisses, it's dark marks on your skin that you want to wipe off in the shower with shaking hands. It's the loud thuds against the wall, the echoing screams bouncing off walls, the horrifying emotional words that you thought you'd never hear, it's the shock on pretty sad faces, it's hearing your significant other talk about another girl in the way you want them to talk about you. It's waking up every morning, wondering if today's the day you should give up and do something for yourself, for once.

It's the side no one tells you about, maybe a little warning that everyone ignores. It's the side that requires hard work and 100% effort. It's the side that is required for any relationship. It's full of the problems, the hurt that's inevitable. It's the frowns, the tears, the anger- it's so much put together.

It's the individuals responsibility though, to not let that end them, to keep on going and when it becomes too hard and things hurt a little too much then giving up can be okay. No one needs a relationship to be whole.

Love is amazing believe me, yet it's destructive but wait .. at the same time it's life changing."

written by me — A

thank you for reading