Chapter 27

Chapter 27:

Nori woke up in Theo's arms. It was the first time she'd slept through the night next to him. She hated that she was getting used to him. She needed to get out. She tried to wriggle free.

"Where do you think you're going?" he mumbled, sleepily.

"Bathroom."

"If you must," he sighed, releasing her. She put on her glasses and quietly went to the restroom.

Celeste must have heard Nori moving around and followed her into the bathroom. She let the dog in behind her and closed the door.

Suddenly, she felt shaky. She grabbed hold of the sink and looked in the mirror. She was drenched in sweat.

She felt so weak. Nori stumbled to the bathroom door and swung it open. Celeste started barking. The noise drowned out everything else. She couldn't see straight. Everything was blurry.

Nori opened her mouth. Her ears started buzzing. She couldn't hear Celeste. She was trying to call for help but she couldn't even tell if the words were coming out. She felt herself swaying. She was ready to hit the floor...but she didn't.

She felt herself being lifted by strong arms. Theo had come to help.

As her body pressed into the soft bed she tried to say she needed a doctor. Even with her vision blurred she could see the concern lining Theo's face before she blacked out.

****

Nori laid still as she started coming to. Where was she? What was going on?

"Please, be okay," a familiar voice whispered. "Please, Nori." She struggled to open her eyes.

"Derek?" she whispered.

"Don't say that name again," sneered the voice.

"Shit, that's Theo," she said to herself.

"What did I say about cursing?" screamed Theo.

She said that out loud. 'Fuck.'

"How are you feeling?" he asked. His demeanor shifted. He was gentle and caring.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Your blood sugar dropped."

Nori opened her eyes and looked up at her captor. He smiled and pulled her into his arms. She let herself enjoy his comforting touch. Celeste was lying on the bed and perked up. She cuddled into Nori's leg.

"Why did you stop using your meter?" he asked, angrily.

"I was running low on strips and I was eating okay. I guess I ate less at your mom's. I don't know. But I figured I'd be fine."

"You should have told me. Or my mum. I'm trying to protect you, Nori. How can I do that if you won't meet me halfway?"

"I didn't do it on purpose. My blood sugar has never dropped that badly. Maybe you should take me to a doctor," she suggested, as lightheartedly as possible.

"Why? So you can tell them that I'm a terrible person?" Theo pushed her down on the bed. "I'm not going to lose you!"

"If my blood sugar crashes too low I could die and you'll still lose me."

"They'll try and take you from me!" he exclaimed.

"If you let me go I won't tell anyone you took me."

"You keep saying that and you're lying." Theo stood up.

"And you keep saying that you want to protect me. But if I get sick, genuinely sick, you're going to let me die over risking someone finding out what you've done."