The Move

"Why is she still around Greg? Why are you still calling her and seeing her?" Dominique  had been asking her present boyfriend the same questions for the last two months and his lame excuses were getting old. It was getting pointless now and she was done crying. She was done begging. And she was done with this relationship. The two of them had been arguing on and off for the last three hours. Greg finally decided to leave and this time Dominique let him unlike the times before where she almost held him hostage to get to the bottom of why he didn't love her anymore.

When he came back later, she was seated in the same spot on the sofa that he had left her in. Only difference now was the empty bottle of wine on the floor and the cover she was wrapped up in. She'd gotten drunk and fallen asleep, waiting on his return. Before all of the lies and cheating, he would have kissed her forehead and tucked the covers tighter around her body. But that was before. He simply shook his head, rubbed his face and continued on into the bedroom where he closed the door and went to bed alone.

The next morning, Greg got up, showered and got ready for work like he usually did. Dominique still appeared to be asleep on the sofa so he crept out the door to avoid an argument. As soon as his car was out of hearing range, Dominique threw the covers off and immediately called her good friend Antonio. The conversation was short and lasted less than a minute. "Hey, what's up?" Antonio's voice came through the receiver sounding as if he was just waking up. "Are you busy? I need you." Dominique replied. The urgency in her voice shook the resemblance of sleep out of his voice and he responded, "Give me 20 minutes and I'll be there."

Without another word, the two friends hung up and were in motion. The night before when Dominique had been left to ponder on her faults and flaws, she began to pack up all of her belonging and keep them hidden in the spare room; knowing that Greg would never look in there. Going into the room they once share, she finished grabbing everything from the closet and drawers. She decided it was best to leave the bed and dresser behind and it made things a lot quicker. Going back over every room of the house that was once filled with love, fun, and joy, she made sure she had everything that was solely hers, and made sure to leave behind anything that reminded her of 'Him'.

By the time Antonio arrived, she had all of her things piled around her in the backyard. Without a word, he began to load them into his truck and Dominique hastily assisted him. In no time, all of her possessions were placed in his car and they drove off. She never looked back and no one said anything as the tears slowly fell down her cheeks. For some, a breakup could mean a new start and it gives you a chance to see how much more you deserved. But for Dominique, it just made it feel like it was her fault, and she wanted to know what was wrong with her.