Chapter 1; Home sweet home

Annabelle dashed down the street with her black laptop bag on her back, she needed to get home fast as she could, her best friend, Ethan Romil, were staying over at her house. She was ecstatic for it! Never did she think her dad would allow him to stay over, since 4 years back when she was 11 he allowed Ethan to stay over and they both blasted out Hollywood Undead on the surround sound speakers. That didn't go down well with her parents, as they both found out shortly after. She slowed to a gait as she smiled shyly walking past her neighbours, the Poticips. They were an elderly couple who everyone loved and could never hate, Mrs.Poticip was a lovely woman who was pure as white roses and was a baker with a lovely husband Mr.Poticip, he was a retired electrician and ex- plumber who always put in all he could to help his wife who was ill. She suffered dementia and depression yet every time she had a period of dementia and forgetting she would never forget her husband, the smile of joy he always wore on his face brightened everyone's day. 

Slowing to a walk down the road she glanced at the huge variety of cars and bikes in New York, it ranged from Vauxhalls to Land rovers to even Minis parked on each side of the road even down side streets, many yellow and black taxis awaited to pick up their customers to take them to their destination. Buildings were a huge assortment of heights and sizes some so tall that the peak of it was almost hidden as the bright sun shone down on everyone. Lampposts and signs directed the thousands of hundreds of people which way to go as most seemed to be in a rush and some genuinely lost to which the signs did their jobs. Electronic billboards and tv's in windows played adverts for many different companies, shows and even stars. Everyone rushed round as if was a huge horde of zombies who had just smelt the scent of blood and the scream of their next meal, aromas of the tacos, hotdogs, burgers and much more drew in hungry victims as everyone made their way through the busy streets. Motor bikers lined up against the side street and chatted about their bikes while feasting on burgers with drinks resting on top of a closed covered bin, meanwhile others were mindlessly on the phone, some listening to music while skateboarding or biking others  just trying to make it through rush hour. 

Slowly walking up the nine concrete steps to the family apartment that was 3 stories tall and was also connected to the Poticip's home only separated by a deep maroon concrete wall that reached her hip height, it was enough that once her and Mrs.Poticip had a 30 minute conversation over Annabelle's school grades and how her revision was going. There was a few small garden trees planted about 10-15 feet apart just to make everyone feel that little bit closer to nature in this urban city, after reaching the porch Annabelle fished her gloved hand in her deep blue jacket pocket in search of her house key. Her parents were out now and so she had the house for an hour till they returned and then Ethan would come over. 

Feeling her hand clasp round her stone cold key calmed her nerves of having lost them, she glanced round a little hearing the sound of a cat hissing and running up her steps from a local dog, her cat was a slightly chubby Maine Coon named Eliza who had a beautiful grey coat with the fluffiest chest and mane of a tainted white colour with a lustrous long tail that could smother you in the fluff, her eyes were perfect orange that was brought out by the contrast in the coat. Eliza darted between Annabelle's legs and hopped up onto the concrete wall beside her that was splitting the house steps up. Annabelle giggled cutely as she finally unlocked the front door and picked up the 9 year old cat almost cradling her in her warm embrace, entering the house she gently nudged the door shut behind her and let Eliza down infront of her who immediately walked to the beige sofa infront and took her seat in pride. Annabelle glanced round to make sure all was in check as she turned and locked the deep red door with her key, heading further into the living room which was a decent size she took a seat on the other side of the L shaped beige sofa careful of her red trainers on the newly hoovered grey rectangle carpet underneath her with a low placed brown wooden coffee table that had a few coasters on and the remote with the odd book on top. Leaning she grabbed the remote pulling off her bag placing it by her feet, flicking through the channels she loosened her stripy tie so it hung round her neck. 

"nothing, nothing, boring, who even watches this anymore?" she questioned under her breath as she skimmed the channels her blue eyes surfing all she could on tv, after some time she rolled her eyes and took her bag on her back leaving the 40inch Samsung tv on the news as she ascended the lamented stairs to her room tying her brown thick hair that reached her lower back, her house had 2 bedrooms. One for her mum, dad and little brother and then one for hers, stepping into her room she dropped her bag onto the floor propped up against the purple painted wall.  Walking a few paces Annabelle flopped on her back on her single bed that had slightly darker purple sheets that has horizontal black lines on the pillow and blanket, sighing tired Annabelle thought about the whole day at school smiling to her self she thought of Ethan and her little brother who was 18 months old and out with her mum and dad for shopping and slowly allowed herself to drift off into a light sleep where nothing mattered but catching a few minutes sleep and relaxing.