VII. No New Friends

A thousand thoughts were going through my head as the elevators at King Industries dinged away the floors. Biting my bottom lip, I gave myself a once over in mirror behind us. I went for a simplistic look, in the form of a navy blue A-Line skirt with a fitted white shirt and heels.

"What are you thinking right now?" Nathaniel asked me coming to stand behind me to stare at us in the mirror. His hands snaked through mine and came around my waist. "You've been fidgeting with yourself since we left your place. Are you worried about something baby?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because I have absolutely no reason to be worried right now?" I asked pouring in as much sarcasm as I could muster. I ended up turning to face him. "I guess you think I should be as calm and collected as you are."

He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged. The man wore a simple black suite, white shirt and tie, but something about it being tailor fit to his body was pure perfection. It should be a crime to look so damned good in a suit.

"Nuri I love your work, everyone at King Industries loves your work. As a business man, it only makes sense to have the best. You are the best and that's the end of that," he said matter of fact and leaned forward to place a lingering kiss on my forehead. "So what's the problem baby?"

His kiss served a calming effect on my nerves and I relaxed. "I want to deserve to be here," I breathed as he began to sway with me.

"You deserve to be here," he whispered back to me. Taking my hand, he stood beside me and pulled me closer into him. "I am not worried, so you should not worry."

"Well I am worried Nathan," I spat back at him "And don't think that you telling me not to worry is going to make me stop."

The corner of his mouth crept up. It was obvious that I was amused him to no end.

"You called me Nathan," he mused. I fumed.

The elevator doors reached the top floor and we were greeted my Maggie St. James' smiling face. She immediately threw her arms around me. "Welcome to King Industries Suga," she said giving me a squeeze. Nathaniel still had not let go of my hand. "You made the right choice, and I will spend the rest of my days proving that fact to you."

She was not angry with me for my behavior yesterday morning, and I was relieved. I was a bit nasty with her and decided I needed to apologize the very instant the opportunity presented itself.

When she released me from the hug, I felt Nathaniel pull me back towards him. I threw a warning look up at him but he wasn't paying attention. Or rather, he acted like he wasn't paying attention.

"Maggie, this is Nuri Hart as you know, and she is to see over the designs for King's Court." I need you to make sure she is situated to the place. You're in charge of that."

She looked down at our entwined hands and nodded. "Sure thing Bossman. Soon as you're ready to release your iron grip on her, I'll get right on that." She retrieved a folder from a bin and held it to her chest before punching the elevator's down button with her back to us.

I went to remove my hand from his right as he tightened his grip. He gave me a once over and nodded as he reluctantly released my hand.

Again, he captured one of my free curls between his thumb and forefinger and visibly moped. "Enjoy your day Ms. Hart," he said smoldering eyes fixed on my lips.

"Thank you Mr.King. I wish you the same," I said after he placed a chaste kiss on my forehead. Which was beyond erotic.

After a few steady breaths, he nodded and said, "You go on first."

"Okay."

I walked away from him and went to join Maggie who was shaking her head and smiling. I still felt his eyes on me and went to turn but Maggie put an imposing hand on my shoulder with a tsk.