29.1|| When All Walls Come Down

Kay clutched her head in her hands tighter, trying to block out the screaming. It was none of her business, she didn't want to know what went behind closed doors. But she hated it. Hated that Jimmy and Kyle were screaming at each other because of Maxi Grant. That woman deserved nothing.

How dare she come there and scream at Kyle? At any of them? Because she was part of the problem. Part of why Sam was in that bed, dying, why all his sons were hurt. Why she was hurt.

The door opened and Jimmy stormed out, anger and confusion battling on his face. "Oh, hi."

"Hey. Are you and Kyle okay?" she asked, standing.

"Yeah." Jimmy shifted from one foot to the other. "Just a mild disagreement. Mom's an idiot and he's way too lenient about it. Anyway... I'm going to find Jessie. I think it's time we moved out."

Kay nodded and sat back down. As worried as she was about Sam, she felt the need to get out of the hospital, too. The air felt scarce and even if there was a constant flurry of movement, it was too quiet. But she'd wait it out. Kyle and his mom were probably talking, getting into some deep conversation which would end with Maxi apologizing and comforting her son and...

The door opened and Kyle slipped out, his movements slow and careful. Kay stared bewildered. He'd been in there less than a minute longer than Jimmy. Maxi had obviously failed to apologize, but he didn't seem to care. He only had eyes for her as he eased his way into the uncomfortable plastic chair next to hers.

"Hey. Found a place?" he asked quietly.

She shook away the stupor. "Yeah, we found a hotel close by so we can rush over in case..." She didn't know how to finish that statement. They'd had such a mix of good and bad luck lately, the chances seemed equal for Sam to either die or wake up.

"In case we have to," he said with a nod.

"Yeah. In case we have to. How are you feeling?"

He ignored her question and just stared at the door leading to his baby brother, to his unfair mother. And Kay felt a burning need to hold him, make everything bad go away. Except she couldn't. Not this time.

"I wish I could say everything will be okay," she whispered.

Though, stupidly, for her it was. Because he was walking, talking and breathing, which was much more than she'd hoped for half a day ago. They were somehow still alive. Most of them at least. At the thought of Billy, her windpipe seemed to close, but she forced a deep breath and drove the thought back.

He wrapped and arm around her shoulders, but didn't pull her against him. She leaned against him, expecting a wince or a flinch, but fortunately, he didn't stir. Still, it wasn't enough. Not in a moment when everything had gone to hell and they were picking up the pieces.

Kyle ran his hand along the bandage around her head and kissed her temple. "Does it still hurt?"

She shook her head. Her head throbbed, her bandaged arm stung from her cuts and burns, and her broken rib constantly stung her side, but his touch made it better. She wished she could do the same for him.

"Honest truth?" he asked.

"I feel them, but they don't bother me anymore." She looked up at him. "I want to hold you so badly."

He sighed and winced. "Me too."

She took his face in her hands and kissed his lips. They were dry and rough. She ran her tongue across them and they became soft and warm like she knew them. He kissed her back slowly, carefully. And she ached. Ached with the need to hold him against her, kiss him properly, make sure that he was still the Kyle she knew.