The Big Doughnut

"I know what will turn that frownie upside downie!" Steven suddenly sang, breaking the silence. "How about a doughnut?" He held the door open for Max and he hobbled through, past a sign that said,

'Eat a big doughnut'

"Oh, yeah, real clever," Max said sarcastically. "I bet whoever thought that one up got a pay rise."

"Max, these are my friends Lars and Sadie!" Steven announced.

"Hey there Steven," said the girl. She was short and curvy with a cloud of blonde hair and a pleasant face. "Who's your friend?"

"Jeez, what happened to you, ugly?" The boy leant over the counter and leered at Max. He was tall and skinny, his gingery hair much too punk and his ears much too stretched. "You look like hell."

Max's bruised hands curled into fists.

"Oh yeah?" He snarled. "I look a damn sight better than your mom did when I left her this morning."

The boy, Lars, blinked, looking taken aback. He leant against the wall behind him, watching Max.

"I like this kid," he said finally.

"Oh snap, that was a good one," grinned Sadie.

"I don't get it," Steven said to Max.

"Don't you worry about it, Steven," Sadie said. "So what can we do for you?"

"Two doughnuts please."

-

Max had to admit; it cheered him up to have a sweet chocolatey doughnut. It was a nice change from the food at home or at camp. And although he was incredibly annoying, Max was starting to warm to Steven. He felt sad for the boy to have to go through so much. The world was full of desensitized, apathetic assholes, after all- he supposed it was pleasant enough to meet someone who wasn't one.