Under Attack

They passed David on their way back to the temple. Just as they were all rounding the corner to the hill, they heard a loud explosion and yells.

"What's going on?" Steven asked, worried, running off around the hill. Max on his crutches couldn't go so fast, so David walked with him.

"What is it?" David called, his voice shaking a little. He had only just got Max back to safety... and now more danger threatened them again.

They rounded the hill and saw that there was a ferocious battle taking place just outside the temple on the hill. A huge someone was in close combat with Garnet- she was punching their head with her massive fists over and over, but it didn't seem to be having any effect- while Pearl and Amethyst danced around them, firing shots where they could without hitting Garnet by mistake.

"It's Jasper," Steven murmured, once they had caught up with him, watching the fight with a look of horror on his face.

"Steven, quickly!" Pearl screamed frantically, leaping high into the air and showering the towering figure with her elegant swords. "Get to the temple! Protect the bubbled gems!"

"She's trying to get in there and pop them all- we've got to stop her from releasing the corrupted gems!" Amethyst yelled.

"Rodger that," Steven called back, and started up the hill towards the temple as Jasper screamed in frustration- but before she could make another move Amethyst looped her whip around her neck and slammed her backwards into the ground.

"The fuck's Jasper?" Max wondered aloud. David tutted.

"She's a gem warrior who wants to release a load of blood thirsty corrupted gems," Steven said.

"Oh. Brilliant," Max grunted.

David picked up Max and they raced up the hill, up the stairs, into the temple.

"What should we do?" David asked, terrified but eager to help.

"You won't do anything," said Steven. "Jasper's too dangerous for humans to go against. You'll just slow us down. Especially Max."

"Hey!" Max scowled.

"So what's the plan?" David asked.

"You two need to stay out of trouble," Steven said, pointing at him and Max. "I'm going to do my best to protect these bubbled gems."

"Okay," David said. Then, "...can we come with you?" Max thought he heard a tremor of fear in his voice. David knew Steven was their best chance of survival.

"Fine," Steven sighed. "But keep close and don't touch anything. If things get hairy, stay out of the fight. Okay?"

"Deal."

They followed him into a room with scarlet walls and many rosey spheres bobbing around the ceiling, each containing a gem shard.

As soon as they entered the mystical room, Max got the feeling they weren't alone.

Just as he was about to say something, someone moved in the shadows of the room.

"Hello?" Called Steven. "Who's there?"

Into the light stepped someone all too familiar: tall, slim, precisely the same build and height as David, but paler- his cheeks not freckled- his fair white blonde, and dressed in the white cult get-up they had seen him in last. In his hand was a jagged silver dagger.

David and Max gasped.

"Daniel?"