Chapter 2

“Shika!” Sachi said loudly. I looked at her, “What?” She pointed to the camera. It was Haru at the beach. I could recognize it easily. It was Kame Beach. Nate told me that it meant turtle in english. Either way, that didn’t matter. At least we had a clue of where he would be. then I realized it was the same beach from the proposal video. “This must be a place Haru goes to a lot. It was in a few pictures before this one and in that marriage video.” I nodded, “Yeah. Tomorrow lets go there, alright? I am sure we will find him.” Sachi pressed the menu button that brought up a variety of options to choose from. One of these options had the date. She pressed it, then suddenly the date and time appeared from when the picture was taken. “12:41 pm? See if any of the beach videos and pictures have the same time.” She nodded and started to search. I was eager to hear her results. After a few minutes she said, “Well, it looks like he generally goes to the beach at 12.” I smiled, “Great! Wow I feel like a stalker.” “Not just you.” We both laughed. We finally made it to the concert and I do have to say, it was kinda fun. I am not into the screaming girl part though. I went home and Sachi did too. Since it is summer, we don’t share our college dorm together. College was fun with her, well everything is fun with her. She was just one of those people you want to see everyday of your life because they make you feel so happy. I stared at Haru’s camera long and hard until I realized that would do nothing. I pulled out my phone and started to search the directions for Kame. I started to look up Haru. I typed in what he looked like, I typed in Kyo and Haru, I even typed up lost camera Haru. Nothing showed up. I fell asleep at my desk and woke up the next day with Sachi calling me. I opened my eyes and grabbed my phone. “What.” I said with a grimy voice. “Well you don’t sound pleasant today. I wanted to let you know it is 10 am.”

“and.”

“And, you should probably get ready. It takes about half an hour to get there and I want to get some food too.”

“Okay.”

“Alrighty! I will be at your apartment in about an hour!”

I ended the call and got up. I slowly went to the restroom and got a shower. After taking a shower, I was re-energized. I got into a bikini and threw on a cover up. I got two towels, my wallet, some sunscreen, the camera and waited for Sachi to call me. She called after half an hour and said, “Hey honey! I am at the front.” I said alright and hung up. ‘Why does she call me honey? She has always done that, ever since I met her. Maybe that is just my pet name?’ That question always popped up in my head, and I was determined to get an answer. I got in her car and looked at her, “Why do you call me honey?” She shrugged, “I dunno. Maybe ‘cause your hair color is honey-ish?” I accepted that answer with a smile. She stopped at some cheap fast food restaurant and got a smoothie and a root beer for me. Then we stopped at a chicken place and got a bucket of chicken with some fries. I made her stop at the dollar store for some cookies too. I felt munchy that day, alright? Anyways, we finally made it to the beach and we carried our stuff down on the warm sand. I put on my sunglasses and helped Sachi open a chair. I sat down on my towel and looked at my phone. “It is 12 right now. They should be here.” We started to search the whole beach with crazy eyes. “Oh! Oh!” Sachi squealed. “What! You see them?” She shook her head, “No, but look at that guy!” I looked closely at his face.

“Sachi, that is your boyfriend.”

“I know! He is so cute when he is oblivious.”

“Why don’t you go say hi to him?”

“Nah, I am not in the lovey dovey mood.”

“But you are in a relationship.”

“Listen honey, there are days when you want to be bundled up in a man’s love and days when you want your man to leave.”

“And where do you stand today?”

“Meh, probably in the middle. Besides, we are searching for two guys in particular!”

“Wait, I just realized, you have a boyfriend and you have a crush on Yuki or whatever.”

“Well a girl can dream! Yuki is the perfect example of perfect, and so far, the closest thing I got to perfect is him. Oh and you.”

I smiled and turned on my back. ‘She is so happy. It is funny how she doesn’t see how lucky she is to be in a relationship.’ I pulled out the camera and looked at Sachi. I took a picture of her and laughed. “Pose for the paparazzi.” She looked at me and did a flashy pose. We both laughed and I put the camera away. After a while, we realized nobody was here today. We packed our things up and left. Day One of the Camera Mystery= failure.

“Well, I guess we can go back tomorrow.” Sachi said with a smile.

“Yeah, I bet they will be there too; today wasn’t pretty out.”

“They might go on days where there is bright skies though! All the pictures had blue skies.”

“I will see what the weather looks like for tomorrow.”

“Kay!”

I pulled out my phone and searched up ‘weather’. It was going to be another ugly day; but the next day was going to be sunny with a high of 95 degrees. “Lets go on Thursday. It is going to be sunny.” She nodded and we drove to her condo. “Wanna have a sleepover? I have Finding Fashion’s new episodes!” My jaw dropped; she was bribing me with her amazing, hd TV and with the best show ever known to womankind. “I have been waiting so long to watch the new series with you!”, I smiled and got out of the car. I packed everything onto my back and in my hands and ran to the door. I started to cheer on Sachi as she made her way to the door, “Come on! Come on! You can do it! Move faster!! Fashion is waiting for us! Fashion! I got a flipping passion for the fashion!” Sachi bursted into laughter, “I never seen you so happy!” She rushed to the door and opened it. I ran inside as fast as a kid running down the stairs to see christmas presents. I dropped everything and jumped on the couch. I reached for the phone and ordered two cheese pizzas; one for both of us. This was sort of a ritual we did every time we had a sleepover. “I will pay!” I said bouncing up and down. She laughed, “Okay Miss Hyper.” Yes, I know I was extremely excited, probably more than Sachi yesterday. I guess I did have a personality underneath all my boringness. I guess Nate never stayed long enough to see it. “Shika, can you put away everything when I hop in the shower?” “Yeah!” I ran to her room and threw everything in her closet. Then Sachi yelled, “Not in my closet again!” Then I took everything out and put it where it belonged. Sachi got out of the shower and got into sweat pants and a big t-shirt. She threw me a big shirt and some shorts. I got in the shower and started to think. ‘Nate never stayed long enough to see my real personality. It took me four years to be myself around Sachi. I guess I could never be myself around Nate because I was so nervous. I was so focused on him not being pleased, that I never was myself. Or maybe I just didn’t like him that much? Ugh I hate boys. Some like to yell at you in the park and some like to propose to you at the beach. They are so confusing! No guy stays long enough to see the real me. Strangers always judge me and think I am some quiet down-to-earth girl. Well I am a loud, hyper, fashion crazed girl who has one friend. I am not good with people I guess. They are sorta scary. One of them could be a psycho killer! Another one could be a murderer! I can’t take risks anymore. But I do have to start opening up to some, I guess. I don’t want to die alone. And I know Sachi won’t stay around forever. She will get married and we will “keep in touch” for as long as we can, until one of us die. That’s just how it will work.’ I got out of the shower and heard the doorbell ring. I yelled to Sachi, “Hey Sachi! Get my wallet and pay for it please!” After a few seconds she yelled, “Kay!” I dried off and heard Sachi and the pizza guy talking. I knew it was wrong but, I had to listen.

“...so its gonna be 7125 yen?”

“Yep.”

The guy was very quiet; he didn’t talk much at all.

“If I can get out the yen.” She laughed awkwardly.

“It is fine, take your time.”

‘I heard that voice before. Is that Nate? No, it can’t be. Nate probably moved back to America already. But it could be him. I will just have one peek.’ I opened the door and snuck my head out. I saw a familiar hair color. I then realized who it was.

“KYO!”