CHAPTER 16: Message in the Bottle

“It was the first day of college and I was running from responsibilities. I was prepared to rebel against everyone who’d probably leave me until I bumped into this girl. She wasn’t that pretty but there was something in her that made me stop. I thought she was an illusion but no. she turned out to be in Ms. Zumman’s, my aunt, student.

                My aunt never did like me because of my bad attitude. She scolds me ‘cause just seeing my face reminds her about my mother; my mother who suffered while giving me birth, who is dead.

                Before she passed away, my father spent time with both of us. But time was oblivious. My father had quickly replaced my Mom for some other younger woman. I couldn’t accept her because I knew for some reason she was just up for my Dad’s wealth. So, I rebelled and took up Engineering for no reason at all. That was the plan until my step brother called me saying they’re ditching my father because he was old. I thought my dad got what he deserved but I couldn’t bring myself to ignore him.

                Before, girls from other campuses cling to me like lizards because of my surname.  My real surname, Greenwoods. You see, they only liked me for my family’s wealth so I spent most of my time playing them until eventually they leave me be. I know it’s sick. I never told anyone about this when I transferred here ‘cause I don’t trust people that easily.

                About Australia, I’m sorry but I lied about going there for business. Actually, my father wanted me to get treated but I was too stubborn to obey him. Plus, I wanted to make sure I’d fulfill my promises to you. I can do the first two promises but I can’t assure you the third one.

                You asked about the time. It’s like this. Six is a number for danger. The time I start becoming mean to you but then it takes me six laps to reach to bridge from my apartment every day. Eight is a number that means infinity. And at 8pm, I saw you crying.

                But I’m sorry for having you lie to your friends like that. I overheard your conversation. This might sound selfish but truth is that I only want you to know me. I want it to be ours to share and remember that there was a time in our lives when we couldn’t stop looking at something that is just in front of our eyes.

                If you ask me why I chose you, I wouldn’t know the answer myself.

                Meeting and knowing you at school, I thought of you as a meddling pain that used her friends sought girly schemes but when we met at the bridge, everything changed. It was as if the the literal bridge was our bridge to each other. Damn, what am I saying? You’re making me nervous, dammit!

                Anyway, I bet you remember your first sneak out for me. I was really surprised that you’d actually have the guts. Who knew a smart good girl like you would have such crazy ideas. You were really different.

                You had something special and you don’t even know it. I envy you, a lot. I thought seeing you miserable would make you be in tears but you kept talking to me like I didn’t do something.

                When you shared your troubles I thought that you had just the same amount of flaws as I have only you had someone to lean on. I hated you. I really did.

                Then right after Maxx told me his feelings towards you, it got me thinking what is it really about you. Maxx ses you as someone special but he let go of you. He also told me a secret in calling you out that would mean all the magic. I thought it was stupid but I had to do it to shut him up. He was right though, your eyes glowed that afternoon and your smile was gentle as the wind.

                That’s when I was sure. I know who you are. You weren’t just the same girl who bumped me at the first day you were so much more. You made me realize that even broken pieces of glass are made for something incredible.

                It’s ironic how you dreamt about me dying where in fact, I am.

                I’ve done my part, Al. I don’t want you to feel to slightest of guilt upon this. This isn’t your fault. I was ready for it.

                The third promise was to live for you. You may not have heard it but I say it ever second of every moment I have with you.What you’re about to read next is written straight and blunt because I may not have to chance to tell you this.

            You’re not that pretty for me and nor are you what I’ve expected to be. You’re too obvious but not easy to read yet despite all these…

            I love you, Alison Grey.”

                I cried while reading his message. He was hiding all this all this time. He wasn’t mysterious at all, he wasn’t mean or selfish . . . he was just. . . alone. How was it that I didn’t noticed?

                So there I was, holding Lance’s hand waiting for him to wake up.

                “You’re really an idiot.” Lance spoke.

                                “Lance? You’re… You’re awake! Nurse! Nur---“

                “Shh. Don’t call that nag just yet.” He grabbed me once again. Oh how I missed him. “Why are you here anyway? I told Maxx to send you home if I ever faint again.”

                                “You forgot how stubborn I could be.” I started sniffling. Lance suddenly pounce my head. “Stupid. Is this how you want a person to remember you?”

                “Aw! What are you saying! You’re alive! You won’t die as long as I’m here. That would break my heart!”

                                Lance smiled. “Al, you stupidhead. I’m already dying.”

                “NO! You’re not! Everyone wants you alive! We all care about you Lance! I swear if you die I’ll seriously hat---“

                Lance pulled me in and kissed me just before I could finish. My heart was thumping like never before and my tears kept flowing down my cheek. I should’ve hit him but I was caught off guard. I felt so hot that I can’t even say a thing.

                “Promise me this one thing.” Lance caressed the threads of my hair and wiped my tears. “Promise you’ll smile. Smile because I’m here.”

                I nodded. Still sniveling myself, I forcefully try and give him my brightest smile of all.

He clenched my hand and closed his eyes. “There you go.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

*Beeeeeeep*