2: Eleanor Tucker

2: Eleanor Tucker

            Eleanor Tucker was known for her evident Asian heritage through her shy eyes that hid behind her glasses. She was an average student, hardworking and determined, but that completely went against the Asian stereotype and her peers were constantly harassing her to be the first to complete the homework problem they didn't understand and to excel in her academics. Eleanor felt pressured to fulfil such high expectations and whenever she couldn't answer something, her classmates would shout:

            Eleanor, open your god damned Chinese eyes. Maybe you're not looking at the question properly.

            Belle watched the 'harmless joke' unfold in front of her during her Algebra class and noted the way Eleanor's hand unconsciously touched the corner of her left eye as they tormented her about her physical appearance. Rather than complete the exercise their teacher had asked them to attempt, Belle started writing.

            Eleanor Tucker has the most beautiful eyes; slanted with perspective and shimmering with a thousand stories not one of us could fathom. She witnesses acts that most of us overlook and pays attention to the most crucial details. Eleanor is rich with visual experience and sometimes, that knowledge is more important than an academic grading in the corner of an examination paper. Eleanor Tucker may not believe she's beautiful, but I do.

            As soon as Belle's day was over, she opened her laptop, typed up the message and posted it live. Then she opened a new tab, logged onto her clandestine email and sent the link to everyone's school email, including her own. Within fifteen minutes, she got her first response.