4: Andrew Harding

4: Andrew Harding

            Belle had to switch her phone off in the middle of the night because her email was going crazy. People were commenting on her blog, expressing mixed emotions, some positive, some negative, all curious. But that didn't discourage Belle. In fact, it was rather empowering. By drawing attention to faults in the mainstream idealisation of beauty, she was educating people, strengthening their confidence, and allowing them to embrace their flaws. Flaws meant diversity. Diversity is key.

            In the morning, Hanna Perry was waiting for Belle at her locker. They weren't particularly friends. It was more of a mutual in-school relationship, where conversations were neutral and expectations of each other were low; they weren't required to carry out any friendship roles.

            "Have you heard about Birthday Suits?" Hanna asked curiously, pursing her glossed lips.

            "Yes. I got the first email that went around," she answered. This wasn't a lie. Belle was careful to write down everyone's school email address, including her own.

            "It's such a great concept," Hanna continued, "but don't you think it's weird that a total random could be writing these things about us?"

            "I doubt the person is random. The person obviously knows our names and school emails, so it's probably a student." Belle shrugged, faking nonchalance. "I wouldn't be too worried."

            "Oh, I'm not worried. But some people are. It's been going around that maybe some inappropriate teacher has been writing the things about us. If you think about it, it makes sense. They know are names, know our school emails."

            "I suppose."

            Belle stopped arguing. It would look way too defensive and the last thing she wanted to do was draw attention to herself. All she wanted was for people to feel comfortable in their skin. Tyler Vermont was one of many victims who felt they didn't meet, nor exceed, society's expectations on what is beautiful. Everyone was beautiful, unique, so full of potential. But they don't know that yet. Belle was just pushing them towards the right direction.

            Later that night, she wrote her paragraph for Andrew Harding, the boy who was constantly picked on because of his big ears and cross around his neck. He was perfectly sweet kid, but because of his religion, people felt the need to bully him.

            I think God made a mistake creating your ears. Their way too big. Maybe you should reconsider your spirituality.

            Why are you always wearing a necklace with Jesus on it? Are you, like, in love with Jesus or something? Isn't that homosexual? Doesn't that go against the bible?

            Look, it's one of the twelve disciples. Shouldn't you be washing Jesus' feet?

            It had come to a point where Andrew no longer wore his cross on top of his clothing. Instead, he hid it under his button ups and made sure the thin, silver chain was tucked inside his collar. He started to grow his hair out too, in an attempt to cover his ears.

            Belle hated the fact that Andrew felt the need to hide part of himself. How he could no longer express his faith with pride. So, within ten minutes, the next paragraph was posted live.

            Andrew Harding has wonderful ears; he can hear the word of God, interpret his teachings, and fulfil his purpose in life. The thing about religion is that it's beautiful, whether you choose to have one or not. It gives you life and passion and answers and guidance and love. Andrew understands the concept of love in a much more elaborate way than any of us could ever fathom. He understands the intricate web of relationships and different layers of understanding in between. The cross he wears, that hides beneath his collar, is a representation of love, and whether he decides to show it or not, it will never fade. It will never be an insignificant factor in his life. Because of this, Andrew Harding may not think he's beautiful, but I do.