Chapter Ten

In the morning, Max found that Daniel had slipped away and a cream-colored envelope bearing the name of the hotel had been pushed under his door. He opened it to find a ticket and a note.

Max,

Thank you for dinner. I had a wonderful time. Say a prayer for me this morning. I'm going to need it if I'm going to get to the finals tonight. If I win, you should buy me pizza to celebrate. When. When I win. Not if. I have a guardian angel now. Haha!

Lily

Sitting on the sofa with a cup of coffee in one hand he read the note again and again until he'd memorized all fifty-five words.

He argued with himself.

I can't disobey Azrael.

You already did.

If there's a breach it will be my fault.

I can have a woman and do my job. Others do it all the time.

Others do, but can you? You're obsessive.

I'm not an addict or anything

You've known her for two days and you're ready to tie yourself to her for a lifetime.

I might be somewhat obsessive.

I can handle it.

I have to handle it.

I will find a way.

I love her.

If you love her, you'll let her go.

If I let her go she'll be sad.

She'll be safe.

She'll be safe with me. I will protect her.

I can't disobey Azrael.

You already did.

He dressed with special care and jogged down the steps and out the door. As he made his way toward the tournament with Lily's note tucked inside his wallet, his spirits rose.

He could handle it. If she would agree to stay at his side, he could handle anything.

~*~

He was a shadow in the crowd. He himself among them, yet apart, in a place where he could indulge in unabashed wonder at her skill and beauty. The great prophets knew how to tap into the Oneness Of Everything. He'd never seen anyone else do it, but Lily did it with preternatural grace.

She was no ordinary human. She was special. Surely, a woman so gifted was not destined to be with an average man.

What's so great about you? What can you give her? The voice in his head asked.

I'll give her every part of me. He silently vowed.

That won't leave much to do your duty. The voice pointed out.

He clenched his hands into tight fists. I will find a way.

After hours of grueling competition, they called her name and handed her an enormous statue of gold and marble. He let himself be seen then and immediately, her eyes lit upon him. Her chest rose and fell in a quick tempo of delight. Her smile shone brighter than the sun.

I will find a way, he told himself one more time. So great was his resolution, that the annoying voice of conscience gave no response.

~*~