Chapter 19.1

For the first time since they'd arrived in Michigan as a married couple, the heat of summer shimmered in the air. Little green sprouts had begun popping up in the fields. Tender young leaves replaced the red buds on the trees. Robins hopped about the yard, worms dangling from their bright yellow beaks, red breasts proudly displayed.

Lily stood at the window, marveling at how different this part of the world was from her home in California. "Everything is so green."

Max came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Do you like it here?"

"What if I hated it?" She asked, shivering deliciously at the feeling of his warm breath against her neck.

"I'll take you anywhere in the world. I live to serve you."

She leaned back into his embrace. "You mean it, don't you?"

"I am your humble servant." He nibbled on her earlobe.

"Will you serve me breakfast?"

She felt his cheek lift in a grin. "Your wish is my command. How about we go see your boyfriend at the Gaslight Room?"

The prospect of seeing the spunky old couple she'd met on her first day in town delighted her.

They rode the Harley into town. Lily loved sitting behind Max, hands on his sides, feeling the powerful flex and pull of the muscles under his leather jacket.

Max parked on Main Street between a rusty pick-up truck and a mud-spattered four-wheeler and they went inside to find Gracie talking to the young girl at the hostess stand.

"You can't just seat them in the order they arrive, dear."

The hostess rushed around the edge of the stand. "OK, Mrs. Elderburr, whatever you say. Table for two?"

Gracie clapped her hands in front of her heart. "If it isn't the beautiful newlyweds! I'm so happy you've come to eat with us! Rose, married life suits you well. You're even prettier than I remember."

Lily, holding onto Max's arm, gave it a little squeeze. "Thank you, Mrs. Elderburr. Married life is wonderful."

The old woman's eyes wandered down the length of Max's body and back up to his face. "I've no doubt, dear. No doubt at all."

Max cleared his throat and looked at the hostess. "You said you have a table? I'm starving."

"Right this way," the girl said.

Lily peeked back to see Gracie admiring the view of Max's backside disappearing into the dining room. "It's a trial, being married to the town hunk, you know. You should be glad I'm not a jealous woman."

He shook his head with a chuckle, choosing not to reply.

They ordered, steak and eggs for Lily, a country skillet for Max, and hot, fragrant coffee for both of them. Max leaned across the table and twined his fingers in her.

"I'm mad for you," he told her.

She tossed her head. "Yes. I have that effect on men."

"I adore you," he confessed.

"I'm aware," she replied.

"I love you more than I ever knew it was possible to love."

Her cheeks grew pleasantly warm. "I love you, too." She brushed her thumb across the gold band on his left hand. "I told my parents. About us, I mean."

"Yeah? How'd they take it?"

"My mom thinks it's all terribly romantic. My father wants to have you investigated."

Max fell still. "He won't find anything."

The server came with their coffee and warm biscuits and they moved to make room. When she'd left, Lily told him, "I told him not to do it. I asked him to trust my judgment."

Max took a biscuit from the basket. "Thank you for trusting me."

Her lips twitched upward at the corners, but she couldn't think of anything to say.

"Tell me what we're doing today," Max said.

The change of subject was so abrupt it took her a few seconds to figure out what he meant. Then she reached in her pocket and produced an ancient-looking brass key. "I got this bad-boy yesterday. Today we explore and make plans."

"Sounds great," he said, sipping at his coffee.

Lily lay the key on the table and took his hand again. "I do trust you, Max."

He squeezed her fingers gently. "I know you do. It's... you're a miracle for me."

"Break it up, lovebirds!" Delbert's deep, booming voice broke through the soft shell of their imagined privacy.

Max extended a hand and the two men shook in enthusiastic greeting.

"You look less grouchy," Delbert pronounced.

Max smiled. "Do you blame me?"

The older man inclined his head toward Lily. "She's a special one."

"Don't I know it," Max agreed.

Gracie came bustling around the corner, her sensible low-heeled shoes clicking smartly against the old wooden floor. "Delbert Elderburr! Why are you bothering these nice people? You're not supposed to come out of the kitchen!"

"You're not supposed to come out of the looney bin, but here you are."

"Oh, stop it!" She waved a hand, dismissing her husband. "Everything OK so far, my dears?"

"The coffee is wonderful," Lily said.

Gracie arched an eyebrow at her. "You're OK to be drinking coffee?"

Lily glanced at Max who shrugged, apparently as confused as she was. "Yes, ma'am. Drink it every morning."

"If you were to be expecting it could be bad for the baby, you know."

Delbert threw his hands up. "Jesus Christ, woman! Mind your own business!"

"Well, it's true," Gracie insisted.

Lily fought back tears of laughter. "Thank you for your concern, Mrs. Elderburr, really, but I haven't even been married a month yet."

Delbert snorted.

They all looked in his direction.

He shrugged. "I ain't saying nothing about the mutual exclusivity of matrimony and impending motherhood. I'm just gonna go cook some steak and eggs. You folks enjoy."

Gracie trotted along after him, chattering about shopping lists and liquor deliveries.

Max and Lily burst into laughter.

"I want to be just like them in fifty years," Lily said through her mirth.

Max nodded. "From your lips to God's ears. Maybe we have at least another fifty years to grow old and senile together."