Chapter Twenty Eight

After pouring every one of her remaining dollars into advertising and renovations, and a few of Max's dollars as well, Lily's first class was due to arrive on September fourth, the day after Labor Day. The students had been registered ahead of time and she'd met them all, four little boys and six girls. Every one of them had said, "please," and "thank you," and bowed as she had shown them before they left. Why, then, did her stomach churn with nerves?

She still hadn't spoken to her father, but she'd called her mother and talked with her about the school and the town. Ruth had wanted to come to Michigan and see it all, of course. She'd gone on and on about how excited she was to explore Lily's new house and fill it with family heirlooms. She wanted to watch a class and eat lunch at The Gaslight Room.

Lily had let her talk and put her off making excuses about getting settled and wanting things to be perfect before she showed her mother but the truth was something in her gut twisted at the idea of her mom standing in Max's house. It brought to mind the shivery feeling of being watched by barely concealed yellow eyes. Nonsense, but an unshakable feeling nonetheless.

Once she'd dressed and breakfasted on a slice of toast and some weak tea she went to the post office to check her box for any last-minute registration forms. Delbert stood inside the small, echoing space, leaning against the wall while he waited for his wife.

"Good morning," Lily greeted him.

"Always a good morning when you get to talk to a pretty lady."

"How's the restaurant business?"

He scratched his forehead, knocking his straw cowboy hat askew and choosing to leave it that way. "I hate it. A restaurant killed my brother."

His words surprised her. She'd been under the impression he loved his work. "That's terrible!"

"Yeah. The building collapsed on him in an earthquake."

"Goodness!"

A twinkle in his eye planted a seed of suspicion in her heart. "Are you teasing me?"

"Would I do that?"

"Yes. I'm pretty sure you would."

Grinning, but admitting nothing, he asked her, "How's the karate business?"

"Aikido," she corrected him automatically. "My first class is this afternoon. Only ten students for now, but it's a start."

He patted her on the shoulder. "Ten is fantastic. You're still brand new. Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal."

Gracie finished her business with the teller and walked over. Her sensible, low-heeled pumps clicked against the tile floor. "Good morning, Violet. It's nice to see you again."

"Her name is Lily," Delbert corrected.

"I know that," she snapped. "We've met several times." Turning to Lily she asked, "How's that handsome husband of yours?"

"Still sound asleep, as far as I know."

Gracie sighed. "I'd like to see that man in bed."

"Hey!" Delbert exclaimed. "I'm standing right here."

The old woman's eyes studied her husband's face for a long moment. "Yes. I know." She sighed and took off toward the door, calling over her shoulder, "Nice to see you again, Rose."

Delbert trailed along behind her, shaking his head. "Crazy old bat," he murmured on his way through the door.

With her stomach beginning to settle and her day brightened by her favorite elderly couple, Lily grabbed two advertisements and the water bill from her mailbox and drove the half mile from the post office to the school. A man stood on the front walk, watching two squirrels chase each other through the branches of the trees on the other side of the narrow street. His long hair lay in a thick braid down the middle of his back. He wore a dark suit much too warm for the mild autumn weather. Despite the easy way he stood, hands in his pockets, face turned upward, something about him sent her instincts into overdrive. Could this be someone involved in Max's work? Should she call Max? Drive away? Scream for help?