Chapter 15.2

The sprawling, unwieldy complex had far more parking places than necessary for a building that housed the likes of Arthur Franklin, Surveyor. How many people visited a surveyor on any given day?

Max staggered through the glass door on watery legs just in time to see Arthur's true self stand up and look down at the broken body lying slumped across his desk.

He turned at Max's approach. "What happened?"

Max said nothing. The man looked back toward his body. "Did I die?"

"Yes." Max swayed, blinked hard, and steadied himself.

"But..." the dead man held out his hands. "Elise is making roast beef for tonight."

"She'll be OK," Max said. Empty promises. How could he know such a thing? What would Lily think if he never came home from work that day? At least someone would show up at Elise's door and break the news to her that her husband's body had been found. If Lily became a widow there'd be no sign of it but a steaming stain on the earth.

He shook the thought off and looked at his watch. Forty-three minutes left to get to the Metro Airport long-term parking lot. His entire form sagged at the thought of another reap that day. Harriet seemed to be working him double to make up for the time he'd been gone.

"I'm here to help you," Max said.

Arthur stared at him with wide, panicky eyes. Max saw what was coming and started in the man's direction before he'd taken his first step. He grabbed his thin arm in a tight grip. "Do. Not. Run. I really can't deal with that today."

Max handed him over to the Light and headed for the airport, focusing all his energy on staying conscious.

~*~

The sun blazed orange on the western horizon when he turned into the drive. Lily sat on the front steps, one of his sweatshirts wrapped around her. A long white cotton skirt covered her legs. The mug in her hands released steam into the brisk spring air.

He cut the engine and followed the walk to the front of the house. Sinking down next to her soothed the stinging wounds on his soul. When she turned, putting one leg behind him and pulling him against her chest, he thought maybe he had died and gone to Heaven after all.

"What in the name of God do they do to you?" she whispered against his hair.

He clung to her warm body. "Not a thing was done to me in the name of God today."

She ran her fingers through his hair, pushing it away from his face.

"I've never been so happy to be anywhere as I am to be with you right now." He backed away just enough to be able to see her clearly. Her fingertips traced lines of warmth along the angles of his face. He pulled her into his lap and accepted her fervent kisses, letting his body respond to her with abandon. When her attention turned urgent and demanding he gave no resistance. Watching her take her pleasure from him, hearing her soft cries, urged him on to greater and greater passion.

Breathless and spent, he leaned back against the porch rail. Still holding him inside of her, she lay her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," she murmured.

"What could you possibly have to be sorry for?"

"Anyone could have driven by and seen us."

"No one drives on this road, and frankly I wouldn't have cared if they did. You're my wife. My body belongs to you."

"I get the idea your body has been pushed to the limit today."

He drew lazy circles on her back. "You'd be surprised at what my limits are."

"Yeah?" Shifting her hips just slightly she asked, "shall we test them?"

"Absolutely."

As it turned out, he surprised himself as well as her with all that he could do.