Chapter One

•—•—•—•
EMBER'S P.O.V
•—•—•—•

The freezing wind whipped by her face as she walked. Her pale lips and finger tips, starting to turn a purplish blue from being out in the frigid cold for too long. Her face, nose and toes alike numb from the snow littering the grassy ground as it all fell around her.

Everything was silent, still, and unmoving as though time has stopped; except for the crunching of her boots beneath her feet as she walked towards her destination. No birds were singing that morning, and she doubted that they ever would sing their story through songs again. She kept her thoughts to herself as she walked; letting them all flow in and out of her like the cold clouds of her breath did when she breathed.

She wasn't supposed to leave today, they were all meaning to come with her; but she couldn't let them. Wouldn't let them even get close to the possibilities of getting hurt over her; she made that promise a long while ago, and wouldn't break it now.

Her breaths came in shallower, quicker and sharper breaths as she finally reached her first destination.

The train platform.

Ember loosened a breath in relief as she strode towards it. Something about the platform seemed familiar in a way she couldn't describe. But something about it all was a bit off as she took in her own surroundings.

The woman beside her hustling her two children over to who could have only been her sister; for their strike in resemblance was uncanny. The elderly man sitting on the bench nearby reading an old newspaper; who could have passed for her own Great-Grandpa, sat with an uneasy growing stillness that she just noticed was in the air.

These people are scared, she thought; scared and running away from what is to come soon.

I don't blame them, she realized; I would have done the very same thing if the invaders were threatening my family and home, its the only way they know how to survive.

This is what I HAVE done, only this morning when I left them; Ember remembered.

The next cold blast of wind the carried a sweet aroma to it, was all she needed to jump back into the memory of her former self only a few days prior to that current moment. It was as clear as day to her as she remembered the sweet as honey sent her home back in the Mid-Elvin Empire had held.

"Emmy!"

The cry of sweet joy rang from the little girls mouth as she ran towards Ember; tiny arms outstretched in a massive hug that had jumped up and wound their way around her neck, holding her tightly.

"I missed you."

Her little sister had said, face firmly tucked into the nape of her neck, with her tiny hands clutching the back of her shirt in the small fists of a 10 year old. Lillian Coils' long, straight blonde hair was draped across the both of them as they hugged fiercely.

"I missed you too my Lil' lion. Though I think you are getting too big to keep jumping into my arms like this."

Ember replied; hugging her back with a grip just as fierce as hers. Lilly just laughed, and replied with a muffled agreement.