Chapter 27

I was walking to Lewis' house, still adjusting the scarf around my neck. Tristan was ten steps ahead of me, how was he walking so fast while holding a bag full of who knows what but it did look heavy. I didn't even get the chance to brush my hair or zip up boats. I was sleeping peacefully until Granny splashed a glass of water on my face. She said that Tristan was here and I had to get dressed. I didn't even ask why, I put on clean clothes and brushed my teeth. Tristan grabbed my arm and we half ran out of my house.

My chest was aching since the minute I had woken up, but I didn't feel weak. I was functioning properly so I assumed my body was fine. But the aching wasn't out of sadness, I felt as if something was gathering in my chest. I glanced at Virgo, the Constellation looked fine. That doesn't explain the burning in my chest.

I had never been to Lewis' house, he lived in a different neighborhood. His house was brown with a beautiful garden planted with flowers, and his house was twice as big as mine.

His Dad was working in the garage, yes they have a garage, his mother was cleaning up a mess in the living room and I thought that Lewis was only child but that was an understatement. He had three younger brothers and one sister who looked like she was in middle school. Their house was a family friendly environment and it smelled like freshly baked cookies, everyone was active and joyful.

"Lewis is in his room upstairs" his sister said. She was sitting on the couch and didn't take her eyes of her nails that she was painting black.

The staircase looked like a water slide, there were so many doors upstairs I had to ask which one was Lewis' bedroom.

"It's the one with 'Do Not Enter' sign on the door" Tristan opened the door and I saw a sad Lewis sitting on the bed staring at the ceiling. Amara was sitting in a corner, Lyra was sitting at a desk carefully applying mascara to her eyelashes. She had brought her whole makeup kit because like me she didn't have time to get dressed properly.

"Why was I called here?" I asked Lewis.

"I don't know anymore" he said, still looking at the ceiling.

"He's only depressed" Amara said.

"I poked my eye" Lyra complained.

"Then why are you putting that on?" Tristan asked.

"Pretty is pain" Lyra quoted.

Amara rolled her eyes and I sat on the edge of the bed, Lewis was in his pajamas and Tristan's hair was wet from when he had taken a shower, he was wearing a black hoodie over a red shirt and jeans with sneakers.

Tristan pulled out a small bucket of ice cream from the brown bag he carried all the way here and handed it to Lewis with a spoon. He dug in and didn't seem to notice that the ice cream was staining his shirt as he ate. 

"Why are we here?" I whispered to Tristan.

"What is wrong with Lewis?" Lyra added, her cheeks were now pink with blush and looking at her eyeliner distracted me.

"I've never seen him this sad" Amara said.

"What's up, buddy?" Tristan tried to sound upbeat.

Lewis didn't answer instead he he ate miserably. After he finished he spoke, his face covered with ice cream, "I got into college" Lewis told unhappily.

Amara's eyes widened, "What?"

"That is why your're upset and moody?" Lyra said.

"This is why we're here?" that was me.

"What's so bad about that?" Tristan said.

"It's on the other side of the kingdom and I would have to live on the boring side where everyone is all business like and......" Lewis sighed.