FOURTEEN

Nugget is screaming bloody murder the next morning

Nugget is screaming bloody murder the next morning. I nod at Zombie to let him know that I will take care of the kid while he helps Teacup, who looks like she's about to be sick. He nods back in as a silent yes, and then he disappears to help the girl.

The five-year-old is whimpering and shaking as he stares up at me through teary eyes. "W-where's Zombie?"

"He's busy," I reply, and my hand moves up to smooth his hair out of habit. I used to do it to Thomas all of the time. "What's your problem, anyways? You need to calm down before you get us in shit with Reznik."

"I had a bad dream."

"We all have bad dreams, Nugget. You have to get over it eventually. Live with it. The past is the past and your sister is--"

"It wasn't about Cassie!" He finally says. "It was about Zombie!"

"You had a bad dream about Zombie?" I ask, voice in a whisper. It was surprising. Zombie was nothing but an older brother figure to Nugget, not a monster like Reznik. I frown in realization. "Did something happen to him in your dream, Nugget?"

He nods. "He-- he died."

I lick my lips, hauling Nugget from the bed and placing him on the floor next to my feet. His tiny fingers cling to the loose pants at my knee and I resist the urge to shake him off like he's a pest as I finish making his bed for inspecting. "Listen, nothing is going to happen to Zombie."

He's getting mad. His voice is a hushed whisper like he doesn't want anyone but me to hear, like it's a secret. "You don't know that! Zombie is always taking of everyone but no one is taking care of Zombie!"

I whip around and grip his two biceps tightly. "Hush, Nugget," I growl, and I hate the fear hitting my voice. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't want anything to happen to Zombie. . . because he's squad leader. Obviously. "Zombie will be fine. He's looking out for himself, too."

"He's not," Nugget argues. He's red in the face. Zombie is hurrying over and Oompa is standing in front of his bed looking green. I become desperate at the thought of Nugget having another breakdown.

"I'll watch out for him," I'm saying before I can stop myself. I mentally curse, wondering why the fuck I would tell Nugget that when I know how selfish I am. I'm kneeling in front of him and cupping his cheeks and then Zombie next to me, kneeling.

Nugget calms. Sniffles. Wipes his tears. "P-Promise?"

Do I have a choice? The answer is no. I said that I would watch out for Zombie and because Nugget looks so much like my brother I can't say no. It's not a choice. He's too similar.

I gulp and suddenly I want to cry. "I promise."

We connect pinkies for a solid three seconds and then I'm lunging across the room to my bunk in time for inspection. When Reznik comes in, he notices that my face is burning and my hands are shaking. He says I'm already tired and we haven't even started yet.

Thirty more knuckle-push-ups.

Fuck.