Chapter 4

4

     7 days

     It wasn’t enough to heal the pain.

     I smiled wickedly while answering the test paper for the final examination. I was absent for about 7 days of healing.

     Hundred items examination for Hematology, yet it took me only 30 minutes to answer it. I passed my paper as quick as possible so that my friends wouldn’t be able to chase me. I was near the door, finding my way out when I heard Miss Fe.

     “Miss Summer? What happened to you? Please pass by the Dean’s office for your statement.” She said in soft, calm and comforting voice.

     I pretended not to hear her. I headed out. I knew my friends were looking behind me. I can feel it. I can sense it. Those questioning look, wonderin’ what happened to me. I’m trying to avoid it.

     ‘Not now’ I told myself.

     They wouldn’t understand it yet. I’m not ready to tell them the truth.

     I was on my last step down the hallway when I heard footsteps, running and chasing me.

     “Sophie!!!!!!!” I heard them yelling. Voice of excitement, of sadness, of worrying, of happiness, of…wondering. I stopped for a minute and looked down.

A single drop of tear fell. I wiped it quickly and ran as fast as I can. I hid on one of the wall when I felt my stomach burning again. It’s not just my stomach, but also my throat. I’m craving. I’m fungry!

Fungry, the state of being fucking hungry.

“Where’d she gone?” I heard Kim’s voice.

“Why is she hiding from us?” Elizabeth asked. I can hear them all panting, gasping for some air.

“I know something’s not right.” Ran said in low, calm voice.

“Then what would be it? Why is she hiding it from us?” Carol.

“She changed, a lot. Her hair, have you seen it? 7 days ago it was short, leveled on her shoulders, blond, and straight. Now, it’s all black, curled and longer. If you straighten it, it will reach her waist. How could it be so fast?” Kim wondered.

I tried as hard as I can not to let out a single sound. I wanted to burst out. Cry out loud.

“Have you seen her eyes?” Carmel asked them, looked at each one of them.

“No, I haven’t. Her face was covered with her hair.” Elizabeth.

“Me too. I haven’t seen it.” Carol

“Me neither.” Kim

“And me. Why? What’s wrong with her eyes?” I heard ran on a high tone of asking.

“There’s something in her eyes. I’ve seen it.”  Carmel said. So calm and sounds a little bit scared.

“Wh—what? Can you just say it straight?” Kim uttered.

“Fluorescence. When she looked at me right exactly when she entered, she suddenly looked away. She wasn’t looking straightly on anybody’s eyes.”