Chapter 3

3

It’s been 5 days since the incident happened. Sophie just disappeared. The Bewilder’s Town Police District’s been searching everywhere in Bewilder. We’ve been posting ‘Missing Sophie Summer’ flyers on every street, hoping that anybody will ever see our friend.

Dead or alive

No, she’s alive. She is. She should be.

“Any updates?” Ran tapped me at the back. I was feeling the presence of air made by the swinging leaves of the trees.

“No. The sheriff came on the Dean’s office a while ago and he said, they can’t find any traces of Sophie.”

“Carmel, I’m scared.” I can feel it as I heard Ran’s voice. I still can’t forget her face that night when we arrived at the hospital right after she called us that Sophie went missing. Chris was holding her on his arms as she was shaking and couldn’t stop crying.

“It’s okay. Everything’s going to be okay. We’ll find her.” I tried to make her feel better but deep inside me, I don’t know how.

“We need to be strong, together. We’ll gain strength from each other, so we need to keep our hopes high. You get it?” I added.

She wiped off her tears and replied a smile to me, and she asked nicely.

“How’s everything going on with you and Faddy?”

“We’re good.” I smiled and looked away. I looked at the football players on the field, practicing for their next tournament against Eastern College.

“Isn’t he practicing for their tournament too?” she asked.

Faddy Mike O’neal’s also an athlete like Ran’s boyfriend, Chris, except that he’s on Basketball field. He was the Most Valuable Player this year and we were so happy about it. It’s been a year already since we became officially together. What I meant with together is ‘Me-and-him for a commitment’.

“Oh my God! Thanks for reminding me Ran! I need to go to the court now and I’m 20 minutes late.” I hurriedly packed up my things.

“Why? Are you also practicing basketball?” she joked.

“Nah. We’re having lunch after their practice and I’m late. I need to go. Bye.” I waved goodbye to her and ran quickly to the Basketball court.

There was no one there. Maybe they were done practicing.

I nod.

Disappointed

 We were supposed to have lunch together for the first time since we committed into this relationship. I was always busy with school works and he’s also ALWAYS busy practicing. It’s the first time we planned to eat together since I’m always going on lunch with my friends, Sophie, Ran, Elizabeth, Carol, Kim and Chrysler. However, it’s been 5 days already that we were not able to eat lunch with Sophie.

I sat on the side bench and looked up the sky.

“Why are these things happening to us? To me?” I wonder.

I was surprised when soft lips touched my cheeks. I looked beside to know who that was.

“Fad!” I yelled. I embraced him so tight.