Chapter 8

8

“Hey Ran. What’s up?” I saw Ran almost jumped out of shocked when I suddenly appeared to her. It wasn’t my intention but it always end up that way. Since that day of the final examination, I haven’t showed up to them. Well, I guess, they still deserve to see me after all. I can control myself already whenever I go near with people and all I need to cope up is the acting skills. I need to act like a normal human does.

“What happened to you?” she asked me in a really shocked voice.

I smiled devilishly. I can feel her so scared. It makes me feel so uncomfortable talking to her while I can really feel how she feels. She’s scared and terrified. 

“Are you okay?” I asked her. Well, actually, I’m teasing her the more I can feel how horrified she is seeing me right in front of her. I put contact lenses on my eyes so that it wouldn’t be obvious to show my eyes changed. I tied my hair too and wore a coat with a hood so that it can cover my long hair and can hide my skin. 

“Uhm… What are you doing here this late at night?” she managed to ask me.

“Why? Aren’t you happy to see me?”  I nod, as if I was disappointed with her statement. 

“No, it’s not that.” she defended.

“I just… wanted to invite you to please come on my birthday this weekend. Please tell the rest to come.” I handed her an invitation card. It contains the address of my new house. Well, it’s not that I’m going to show them my monstrous place, it’s just that they still deserve to know where I live since I’ll be staying in Bewilder until graduation and I know they’ll be bothering me a lot. 

Ran was reading the card when I suddenly interrupted her. “And yeah… I know I have lots of things to explain. Please be there.” I told her and I kissed her on the cheeks as how we used to do with each other before saying bye.

I was heading out the street when I heard her stopping me. “Sophie!” I looked around. “I missed you!” she said and waved goodbye to me. 

She’s sad. The feeling of being scared disappeared. I waved back at her and get into my Black Volvo. I drive faster, with my window open, and felt the cold wind. I love the feeling of being struck by cold things. 

I wonder how I’ll be living next coming days. I’ve only been a neophyte for just a week and it’s hard. Being chased by your destiny is so haunting. 

I passed on a convenient store. It’s already 1 o’clock in the morning but I still don’t feel sleepy or tired. 

‘Is this how Wirths are?’ I wonder.

As I entered the convenient store, there were old woman chatting. They stopped as they saw me entered. They looked at me as if I am a wanted killer. I gave them a really serious look commanding them.

‘Get out!’ I said to my thought. They got up on where they were sitting when I entered and headed out of the store. 

I let out a silent laugh. 

‘Now this is the Wirth thing.’ 

I saw a man looking on some chips and the other man on the counter. All in all, it’s just the three of us inside. 

‘I can taste their blood.’ I thought but I my mom’s voice suddenly entered my memory.

‘Be a good Wirth.’ It echoes in my head as if she’s just around me.

I was just having that wild thought of tasting their human blood but that was actually just a joke. I’d rather take those capsulated bloods, I guess?