Chapter 6

6

     Bauer took me to the airport. I felt guilty on his hand but in a way, I was glad ‘cause it saved me.

     I arrived five o’clock in the morning. I was scared my family will not accept me for what I am now. I took a taxi from the airport on the way to our house. The taxi driver stares at me every now and then. I looked away, trying to hide my eyes from him. Walsh is a big city, while Bewilder’s a small town, 2 hours away from their main city.

     I don’t feel sleepy. I’m nearly home. Days before this incident, I was craving for my mom. Now, I feel frightened.

Our house’s a little hidden from the city. It has a wide yard with high walls.

     “You live here?”  The driver asked me.

     I tried not to look at him. I handed the money to him. He was handing me the change but I didn’t bother to take it. I’m scared enough to mind it.

     I was standing outside our big and high gate. I pressed the bell. It has a camera so I know that they can see me inside.

     “It’s me.” I faced the small monitor near the bell.

     Few more seconds, the gate opened. It can open automatically as long as someone inside will open it. I headed in. The main house’s few more meters away from the gate. I still need to pass by the spacious garden where I used to play when I was still a little kid.

     The maid opened the big front door. I had my hair covered partially on my face, trying to hide my monstrous appearance. When I get in, they’re all there, my mom, my sister and her child, my niece, Colette, my older brother, Emzi, and the rest of the people on my family tree. Colette, 3 years old, ran towards me and embraced me.

     “Sophie!” she screamed. She held my hand. I wasn’t looking at her but I held her tiny hands tightly, trying to make her feel that I missed her too.

     I was just looking down the floor, waiting for them to talk first. I heard footsteps, my mom’s. I memorize every foot step she takes since I was a kid, so I know it was hers. I felt like I was a little rebellious girl who has done a big mistake who’s about to punished. I wanted to act so brave as how I used to do, but I’m so scared enough to act, not now, not in this moment.

     “Honey.” My mom whispered. Her voice, now it’s all real.

     I never looked up.

     “Who was that stranger? Does that person know about this?”

     ‘This?’ I thought. Thoughts came flooding my mind. What does she mean ‘this’?

     I looked around, looking on each and everyone’s faces. I can’t see any smiles in their faces. They all looked worried, and terrified.

     I looked at my mom, wondering. I gave her a questioning look.

     “Oh god! Honey, I’m so sorry.” She embraced me. I knew she saw the changes on me physically. I’m still puzzling out what’s happening. Why isn’t she so shocked? Why aren’t they asking me what happened to me? Why aren’t they scared of me? Why? I kept asking myself these unwanted thoughts.

     “W-w…” I don’t know exactly what to say or to ask. I cleared my throat.

     “How did it happen to me?” I tried to psycho her.