Chapter Twelve: I'm Gonna Miss You (Final Chapter)

Donnie couldn't enjoy the rest of his night. With things now painfully out in the open, the two decided upon sharing a bed that night, fearing that it'd be the last time they'd be able to. It was still a risky thing to do, but Donnie's parents had caught them doing something much worse than just sleeping in the same bed... Could it really make things worse than they already were?

The next morning, the two boys woke up in Donnie's bed. They figured it'd be a better idea to sleep in his room, since it wasn't on the first floor right near both the kitchen and living room. Donnie was the first to wake up. He was laying on his back and staring up at the ceiling, an arm wrapped around Derek, who was sleeping peacefully, his head resting against Donnie's chest. Laying in bed was both a blessing and a curse. It meant things were still peaceful and he could still spend some quiet time with Derek, but it also meant he was dragging out the inevitable. Just thinking about having to face his mom and dad made him sick.

"You okay there, Donnie?" A groggy voice asked. Donnie looked down at Derek, who looked like a sleepy mess. He smiled slightly at the precious sight, and nodded. "Yeah... Or... Well, no... I guess, I'm not okay." He sighed heavily and shifted to a sitting position once Derek removed himself to stretch and rub the tired from his eyes. "Derek... My dad is a really traditional guy. He tolerates many things because he was taught to be polite, but he doesn't support them. He didn't raise me to be... This way." All Donnie could do was sigh heavily and run his fingers through his hair out of nervous habit. Derek laid back down on the bed, his fingers laced together and resting behind his head. He looked up at the ceiling for a few moments before speaking. "You know... I'm working on getting a job. If your dad kicks you out we can just... Crash at someone's house for a few days... Or weeks, and I could start working and get a really cheap apartment. We could live together and just try to do the best we can until we get a hang of living on our own." It pained Donnie to think about such things. This wasn't how things were supposed to be. He wanted to go to college, not get some minimum wage job and live in a crappy apartment. He still wanted his parents to love him, too. If they didn't approve of this.... Derek was all he'd have. Donnie bit his lip. Was this how Derek felt all the time? Ever since his dad died? So helpless and alone and lost and stuck? What a horrible mix of feelings...

"Come on... Let's just go talk to them before we start planning anything. Maybe.. Maybe it was just a surprise they weren't expecting? Maybe they'll change their tune now that they know their kid is.. Gay.." Yeah, right. But it was wishful thinking.

Donnie got ready in his own room, while Derek had to go downstairs to get to his. Luckily Donnie's parents were both in the kitchen, conversing about their son, so Derek could sneak on by easily enough. Donnie took longer than he usually did to get dressed and ready. Of course, he really didn't want to confront his parents about this, so he went through every shirt and every pair of pants he had, and took his time picking out something to wear. He even tied and re-tied his shoes a good five or six times, which was strange, because he never even bothered to put shoes on in his own home. He guessed he really was trying to stall. But, eventually, sadly enough, he was ready, and he had to face the music. So, slowly, the male left his room, shuffled down the hall, down the stairs, and to Derek's room. He knocked quietly on the door and waited until Derek appeared, to walk into the kitchen with him, hand in hand. Donnie's parents both stopped speaking and looked to the two, disappointment, hurt, and confusion obvious on their faces. Derek squeezed Donnie's hand to give him some reassurance.

Both boys sat down at the kitchen table. Donnie's mother was already sitting, but his dad was standing, pacing back and forth in the room. His mom looked at them both with dewy eyes. She was on the verge of tears again. They weren't going to speak, so Donnie decided to start for them.