Chapter 1: She wants to become a mime

Katya groaned as her hand shot out from underneath her covers to turn off the alarm. She sighed and sat up, still trying to wake herself up, before getting out of bed and making her way over to the bathroom to begin getting ready for school.

She was just putting the finishing touches on her makeup when she heard her mother yell from downstairs, "Time for school!"

Katya raced down the stairs and into the kitchen, placing a quick kiss on her mother's cheek, "Morning mom." She greeted as she reached into the cabinet for a pop tart.

"Morning baby." Helen smiled over at her eldest daughter before calling back up the stairs, "Stop daydreaming, or you'll be late for school."

Katya chuckled, fixing herself a cup of coffee to go, "She's probably staring at herself in the mirror." Helen laughed at her daughter's remark as she continued to call for her youngest.

After a couple more tries, Mia finally came sliding down the fire pole and made her way into the kitchen with the rest of her family.

"Morning." The younger Thermopolis grumbled.

Katya smirked at her younger sister over the rim of her coffee cup, "You look so excited for the day to begin."

Mia shot her sister a half-hearted glare, "Shut up." She reached over and stole the rest of her sister's pop tart, ignoring Katya's complaints, and shoving it into her mouth.

"Are you feeling confident?" Helen asked as she looked worriedly at her frizzy little girl

"Not really." Mia groused as she made her own cup of coffee.

Katya sighed and patted her little sister's back, "Just try to remember Mia, when you make your speech, don't look at anybody."

Helen nodded in agreement, "Your sister's right. Pick a spot on the back wall, don't take your eyes off it, and speak loudly."

Mia gave a half smile, "Thanks, Mom." She took the trash bag her mother offered and began heading out the door.

Helen then turned to Katya, "How's your Valedictorian speech coming along?"

Katya shrugged, "It's coming, and I have a whole month before I have to deliver it so I'm not too worried right now." She walked around the kitchen island and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek, "By mom." before collecting her bag and following her sister out the door.

"Good morning Mr. Robutusen." Katya smiled at their next-door neighbor, "Do you want a ride to school?" Katya asked her sister and she unlocked her 1990 dodge challenger and threw her book bag into the passenger seat.

Mai shook her head, "No thanks, I'm meeting Lily halfway."

Katya shrugged, "Alright, see you there."

She slipped into her car and took off. Katya offered Mia a ride to school every morning, but she declined almost every time, preferring to ride her scooter with her best friend Lily.