Chapter 3: Rule? A Country?

The three of them had moved out to the garden and were sitting around a table beside the fountain enjoying their tea.

Katya had just lifted her cup to her lips when Mia started clinking her spoon against the edge of her cup. The noise brought everyone's attention over to the table and Katya could see the people off to the side grimacing at the sound, while Clarisse just watched her youngest granddaughter, perplexed.

Once Mia had licked the spoon off and set it down, Katya took her first sip of her tea, trying not to cringe in embarrassment of her younger sister.

Finally Clarisse began to speak, "Katyana, Amelia, have either of you ever heard of Edward Christoff Philippe Gerard Renaldi?"

"No..." Mia said, confused and Clarisse turned her attention to Katya.

Katya frowned in concentration, "The name sounds a bit familiar, but I can't place from where."

"He was the crown prince of Genovia." Clarisse explained to the two girls.

"Hmm..." Mia hummed, nodding her head.

"What about him?" Katya finally asked.

Clarisse took a breath, "Edward Christoff Philippe Gerard Renaldi... was your father."

Katya almost dropped the teacup she was holding as she stared at her grandmother in shock.

Mia, however, though it was a joke, "Yeah, sure. Our father was the prince of Genovia."

Clarisse obviously didn't understand sarcasm, because she was nodding her head along with Mia until she said, "You're joking."

Clarisse looked at the two girls in confusion, "Why would I joke about something like this?"

Katya shook her head, "No that's impossible, daddy wasn't a prince. If he really was that would make us..." she trailed off as she looked over at her little sister.

"Exactly," Clarisse smiled at the two, "you are not just Katyana and Amelia Thermopolis" She first looked to Mia, "You are Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi princess of Genovia."

Clarisse then turned her attention to Katya and smiled, "And you are Katyana Nicollet Thermopolis Renaldi princess and rightful heir to the Genovian throne."

"M-me?" Katya hesitantly pointed to herself, "A princess? Heir to the throne?"

"Shut Up!" Mia exclaimed, staring at her elder sister in shock.