Chapter 12: Should have taken the Challenger

The next day, after the dinner party, Clarisse had the girls meet up with her out in the green house.

"This place was such a mess when I first arrived, and I've been spending every spare moment in it I can

"This place was such a mess when I first arrived, and I've been spending every spare moment in it I can." She informed the girls as they stood watching her mist the pants. "Pick up one of these," She motioned to the spray bottle, "make yourselves useful. Just spray everything."

Katya walked over and grabbed two bottles, and handed one to Mia as she began spritzing everything.

"You're not mad at me for what happened?" Mia asked curiously as she followed her sister's example and began spraying down the plants.

Clarisse smiled over at her youngest granddaughter, "Actually, I found it all rather funny. It reminded me of my first royal dinner party." She told them as they moved around the greenhouse, "I accidentally knocked over a suite of armor and the spear went right through the suckling pig." She laughed at the memory of it.

Katya chuckled, "Well that's more embarrassing than anything Mia did last night."

"Excuse me," Mia frowned over at her sister, "did you not see me catch Lord Fricker's arm on fire."

Katya winced, "Okay, that was a little bad, but he wasn't hurt, Mia." Her little sister didn't respond that time.

Clarisse and Katya watched as she moved around the greenhouse gloomily.

Clarisse set her spray bottle down and smiled at her two granddaughters, "Girls, why don't we cancel lessons for today and just have some fun." She suggested.

Mia looked up, confused, "Fun?"

Katya walked over to them, "You're not too busy for something like that?"

Just then Charlotte walked into the room, "Your Majesty, Lady Jerome has just arrived, and I have the French Consulate's assistant on hold." Katya and Mia glanced at each other and went back to watering the plants, "He wants to confirm tonight's dinner."

Clarisse smiled and shook her head, "Send my apologies, and cancel everything for today." The girls looked up hopefully, "I am being shown San Francisco by some true San Franciscans." Katya and Mia grinned happily at her, "Tell Joseph we'll need the car."

Charlotte smiled, understanding, "Yes, Ma'am."

"Wait," Mia cut in before Charlotte could leave, "I want to show you, my baby."

Clarisse and Charlotte's eye widened in horror, and Katya let out a loud laugh, "She means her car, grandma."

Clarisse let out a breath of relief.

Mia looked around the room confused, "What did you think I meant?"

____________________________________________________________________________

The three of them were driving through the Golden Gate Bridge. Katya had decided to let Mia drive her own car since Clarisse had informed them she had a driver's license; so Katya had opted for the back seat.