Chapter 11: Not as boring as she thought

A few days after the girls were 'outed' there was the dinner party that Clarisse was hosting, and it was the first party of many to come for the girls. They had been told that they would not be entering with Clarisse, but they would be able to enter together.

Mia was the first to go down the stairs and Katya followed behind her at a leisurely pace with Joe waiting at the end of the staircase for them. She was so nervous; she had to keep reminding herself to stand up straight and to keep a smile on her face.

 She was so nervous; she had to keep reminding herself to stand up straight and to keep a smile on her face

The sisters reached the end of the stairs and he offered each girl an arm.

"Well done," He murmured comfortingly to them both, "The worst is over."

He led the girls around the room, nodding and smiling at everyone they passed until they finally came to face a robust older man standing beside a lovely older woman and a little girl.

Joe gestured to the man, "This is our diligent prime minister, Sebastian Motaz,"

The girl's greeted him kindly as he bowed and kissed both of their hands, "And his lovely wife Sheila," she smiled at the two girls and curtsied, "and their charming daughter, Marissa."

Mia simply smiled at the young girl, while Katya lent down to face her and held out her hand, "Hello, it's very nice to meet you."

The little girl smiled back and shook Katya's hand, "Hi," then she frowned, "I'm not allowed to go to the party." She said petulantly and everyone laughed.

Katya grinned, "Well, why would you want to? It's going to be very boring."

Marissa giggled at Katya, and everyone smiled at the scene.

"Dinner is served." Adolfo called out, and Joe began to lead the girls into the dining room. Unfortunately, the sisters were not sitting next to each other. Katya was sitting farther up on the table, closer to Clarisse's chair.

Everyone had just been seated when the harpist began playing signally Clarisse's arrival. The guests all stood to their feet as the Prime Minister announced, "Her Majesty, Queen Clarisse."

Clarisse glided into the room, as beautiful and graceful as ever. Katya looked at someone the faces of the guest in attendance and saw the respect and care in their eyes as they watched her grandmother enter the room. Katya could only hope that someday they would be giving her that same look.

Clarisse reached her chair and smiled at everyone, motioning for them to take their seats as she herself sat down.

Katya was seated next to a Scottish man and his wife, while Clarisse was seated at the head of the table on his other side.

"How are the children, Robby?" Clarisse asked the kilted man.

He grinned proudly, "Would you like to see them, Ma'am?" and without waiting for a reply he stood up and pulled a little booklet out to show her some pictures, "There's Ryan," he pointed at one picture, "And there's Bridget." He showed her another.