i - gianna

"we need two dozen yellow roses." i say over my shoulder, leaning against the counter. i look up at the woman who's waiting for her flowers, and i suddenly feel an arm wrapped around my waist from behind. yellow roses are placed on the counter in front of me.

"eighteen thirty two." i ring the woman up, and she hands me a twenty dollar bill. i open the cash register, grabbing her change and handing it to her. i push the flowers toward her.

"thank you." i smile.

"have a great day, ma'am." brendon adds after me, and the woman smiles, taking her flowers and smelling them.

"they're perfect, thank you so much."

with that, the two of us watch her walk out the door, the bell above it ringing. finally, closing time.

"what do you wanna do tonight?" brendon asks, putting his cheek against my shoulder. i lean into him.

"wanna come over and watch a movie?"

"sure. i'll go get the broom and sweep up before we go." he kisses my cheek before walking to the back room. i shuffle to the storefront window, turning the 'open' sign to 'closed'. when i turn around, he's busy sweeping the floor, creating a small pile of flower petals. he pushes them into the dustpan, disposing of them in the garbage can.

i grab my things from behind the front counter, checking my phone. no notifications. sighing, i let my boyfriend come and put his hands on my waist and pull me in for a kiss. i circle my arms around his neck, closing my eyes.

"i'm gonna go have a smoke and then i'll be ready to go." he says against my mouth, giving me short and sweet kisses. i smile, letting him go out the door. i focus on the way his hips move as he walks, and the way his skinny jeans fit him. i love him so much.

a few minutes go by, i'm walking out the door, and i hear a voice as i'm locking the store.

"g...babe..." i tear my gaze from the keys and door, and lying beside me on the ground is brendon. he's bloody and bruised, and he can't open one of his eyes. it's already turning black. how one earth did this happen in the span of five minutes?

"brendon, what happened- oh my god, baby." i crouch next to him, my heart racing in my chest. i push my handbag off of my shoulder, dropping my keys on the cement. i put my hand on his cheek, he winces, and i pull my phone from my pocket immediately, dialing 911.

"don't worry, an ambulance is on its way." i say, talking faster than normal. he tries to speak. i pull him into my arms, crawling on the cement toward the store, and i lean my back against it. his head is in my lap, and he coughs. blood is staining my jeans. his blood.