ii - brendon

"i'm gonna go have a smoke and then i'll be ready to go." i tell gianna as i pull my mouth from hers. i reach down my hand to make sure my cigarettes are still in my pocket. they are. she nods and i turn, walking outside.

i pull a cigarette out of my pack of 'camels', lighting it with my hand cupped around it. i pocket the lighter, leaning against the flower shop, taking a few drags.

"hey, urie!" my last name is shouted from down the sidewalk, and i look to see three guys walking toward me. i squint to see them better. as they get closer, i can tell they aren't the least bit happy. i let the cigarette hang from the corner of my mouth for a moment.

"can i help you guys?" i ask, furrowing my brow. they get a foot away from me, and i start to recognize them. oh, shit. all i can do is stand there as the tallest guy's fist makes contact with my face. i grit my teeth, and once i get my bearings, i get ready to wind up and hit him back, but i'm too late.

the other two punch me in the gut, and i fall to the ground. in pain, i curl up, and i put my hands against my stomach. bad idea, brendon. i'm kicked in the stomach and chest, and i suddenly can't breathe. my glasses then fall off my face, and i reach out to grab them. bad idea number two.

my hands is stepped on with full force, and i can't help but yell in pain. two more swift kicks to the stomach, and it suddenly stops. with what little strength i have left, i look up at the three guys.

"you show your face again, you'll be fucking sorry." one of them says to me through gritted teeth, but i can't respond. blood drips out of my mouth as i try my hardest to raise my head from the cement. the three of them storm off, and as soon as they do, gianna comes out of the store.

"g...babe..." i say weakly, and she looks down at me, her eyes widening.

"brendon, what happened- oh my god, baby." gianna crouches next to me, and my vision starts to weaken. the last thing i see before my eyes close is my girlfriend with her phone pressed to her ear.

"yes, we're on the corner of abbey door. my boyfriend got jumped and he can hardly breathe. please, come quick."

her tone is demanding, yet soft, and i can hear that she's crying. suddenly, i'm pulled into her laps, and i let out shaky breaths as gianna begins to stroke her hand over my hair.