iv - brendon

i breathe shallow breaths, and i start to wake up a little. when i get feeling back in my body from sleeping so deeply, my right hand hurts incredibly. i want to scream in pain, but i can hardly speak. my nose hurts, too.

   "hi, b." i hear a voice. who is it? i can only open my right eye slightly, and i do. through my blurred vision, i see my aunt sitting next to me, holding my hand, and looking sad. it all comes back to me now, and i start to panic inside.

   "don't talk, it's okay. you probably don't have a lot of energy, babe, and that's okay. i just want you to sleep and get better as quick as you can. the doctor says you're okay....your nose is broken and so is your hand. he said it looks like someone stepped on it and you were punched and kicked. how horrible. who did this? why did it happen? do you even know? i don't expect you to answer, don't worry."

   she pauses, i try my hardest to take a deep breath, and i can hear how shaky it is. my nose is broken, and my hand? those bastards. i don't remember a lot of what happened, i blacked out when gianna found me and the beating i took is a blur in my mind. i wish i remembered more.

   "i just...i hate to see you like this, babe. whoever did this to you....dammit if i don't file a report. we'll find them and we'll get all of this taken care of, i promise b. gianna thinks it's her fault, but i've told her it wasn't. i think you'd agree with me..." i tune out the rest of what she's saying after she says gianna's name.

   i hope that she's okay. i wonder if she's here...i bet she is. suddenly, i feel aunt cece's hand against my cheek, and the bruises and cuts on my skin are ignited with pain. i whimper slightly and she pulls her hand away.

   "i'll see if gianna can come in. i love you, brendon. forever and always, you know that." her lips are pressed lightly against my forehead, and i like the feeling. she feels cool, yet hot at the same time. i can't respond, but i can feel that she isn't there anymore. i lay there motionless, and i feel how dry my mouth is. with what little vision i have, i look around the room to see that there's a cup of water on a tray next to the hospital bed. i try to reach for it with my left hand, but my entire body is on fire with pain. i give up on trying to move.